Question about installing my wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiefanjp

Dec 8, 2015
Michigan
I have an old wood stove in the basement of a house I just purchased that I am going to scrap. I am purchasing a new wood stove and want to place it on my main level using the same chimney. It is a clay liner. I would like to just patch the thimble hole in the basement with high temp mortar and drill a new thimble hole on the main level and install the new wood stove. Does anyone know if there will be any problems if the fireplace goes all the way to the basement with the stove being vented from the main level such as draft or venting problems? Just want to make sure I am on the right path and not forgetting anything thanks!!

Welcome. It can work with some caveats. It will be important to assure that there is no leakage down below. Typically besides sealing up the old thimble this means creating a gasket for the cleanout door. Use silicone to do this. There are other safety and performance issues that should be considered. Has the chimney been cleaned and inspected? Does it have the proper clearances from any combustibles? Also one needs to measure the current tile lining's inner dimensions to see if the area is within spec for the wood stove. Most stoves these days take a 6" flue or 28 sq in. in area. The tile liner area should not be more than twice this area.

Great information and thanks for the quick reply. Can I still use the clean out door in the basement? Everything else looks good however I will have to check the specs on the inner liner area.. I believe they are the rectangular or square type clay tiles, the house was built in the early 90's

Yes, the clean out door is still useable. Put a sheet of wax paper over the door opening before closing the door to set the gasket. That should act as a release paper you can peel off after the silicone has fully cured.

Status
Not open for further replies.