1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

question about moving heat from stove room

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rygar, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass

that's kind of cold with all that heat put in there. like I stated before, i stop feeding the stove around 9:30-10pm. in the morning, it's never been under 66 d.

do they have state energy audit programs where you live? if so, sign up. if not, get a audit by a good private contractor. always best to hang onto every btu you put in the house for as long as possible..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That is where you want to try the fan. Now you just need to get more heat going. I would go to the local hardware or grocery store and get a couple bundles of dry firewood. Give that a try, burning a full load of at least 5 or 6 splits.

When you say that everyone was advising you to get the Clydesdale, are you referring to the dealer and salespeople? Or on another forum?
  3. rygar

rygar New Member

i have seasoned oak...been split and stacked at least a year. actually the wood im using now is left over from last year....so its been around for at least 2 years.
  4. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    As many people here can attest: oak needs a minimum of two year to season better three or more. Did you split a few pieces and check them with a moisture meter in the center of the freshly exposed surface? The reading should be below 20%.
  5. rygar

rygar New Member

im going to post a picture of me filling the box and starting the burn..ill let you guys be the judge.
  6. rygar

rygar New Member

i do not have a moisture meter
  7. brakatak

brakatak Member

Loc:
    SE Mass.
    how are you measuring stove temps? are you getting it hot enough? that is my big battle right now. trying to figure out how to properly measure stove temps on an insert. i got a magnetic thermometer and IR thermometer. both help, but still working on how to get accurate temps with them. when i get the stove real hot, i get much better results. pretty sure i got the stove top to 450-500 last night, and got stove room to 75. highest temps i got so far, and outside was 25d.
    also, like others said, moisture meter is very helpful.
    Good luck.
  8. rygar

rygar New Member

luckily christmas is around the corner..hahhaha
    need bunch of gadgets. sucks being a rookie, but by next year its going to get pretty serious.
  9. brakatak

brakatak Member

Loc:
    SE Mass.
    Ya its on next year. No messing around.
  10. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    Can anyone confirm this working?

11. Oregon aloha

Oregon aloha Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Willamette Valley and the coast
    When you warm air it takes up more room then cool air. The air is pushed out the window not drawn in. We have a zigzag from our living room through our family room to our laundry room/bath. This is the only method that gets heat into that area. It also keep the family room warmer.
  12. rygar

rygar New Member

so i listened to some more advice.
    i started with the hot fire with small wood and then load up and close up the damper.
    the difference from today to yesterday is pretty considerable. Have den area over 70. the two closest temps are at 70 and
    here is a pic of what the fire looks like right now with the damper nearly closed
    [​IMG]
    i also put a fan in the BR1 and aimed towards the stove room as best i can and will see if that will help.
    will keep everyone posted
    Grisu likes this.
  13. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    No real need to wait until Xmas. Any cheap moisture meter ~$20 over the internet (Amazon, Ebay etc.) will do or try this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-mini-moisture-meter-67143.html

If you don't have a thermometer yet look also at this one here: http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-60725.html
    With Black Friday not far away you may get it even cheaper soon.
  14. NateB

NateB New Member

Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
    You can also check your moisture content with a multimeter the sticky is at the top of the wood shed forum. Wish I would have read it before I bought mine at lowes. It works ok. I just look at an think man I could have gotten more saw chain.
  15. freddy

freddy Member

Loc:
    Portland, Oregon
    I turn on my fan and use the ventilation system to distribute the air and it works well. I measure the temps at the registers before I start the stove and see a 5 degree increase after about an hour or so. My return is in the stair well just above where the stove is in the LR so maybe that is why it works well?? It also helps to cool the LR where it can get really warm. I need to get one of those timers as I don't want to run the fan all the time.