Question about "Stovepipe Shield" and Clearances.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kolbyTheDog

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
I am working on a DIY install of a new to me but older Regency Large R6 free standing woodstove. In order to fit my chimney through my rafters in the attic I had to move my ceiling support box back a few inches towards the wall my stove will sit in front of which will now require me to use some type of shielding as I will be under the minimum distances for unshielded single wall stove pipe. My stove pipe will be 14.5" from the wall, the manual says the min. distance for the the flue for close clearance install to the wall is 13"

The manual says "for Residential Close clearance installations.... For Regency Large Free Standing Stove in close clearance application, a listed pipe shield is required. For the small or medium freestanding stove installed as a close clearance residential unit, a listed double wall connector is required from the stove collar to the ceiling level."

Questions:

1. Would this stovepipe shield be acceptable and how much of my stove pipe needs to be covered by this product? 100%? 75% Just the amount that this protector covers? I'm going to have a little less than 60" of stove pipe to connect my stove to the chimney. http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5CO-54120

2. I am using the Metalbestos Dripless smoke pipe adapter to connect my chimney to the stove pipe. This adapter hangs down 16 inches from the ceiling mount. How much of the adapter should be covered with stove pipe? Do I need to shiled this peice of pipe as well? http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/83420/icn/20-088302/selkirk/6tdsac.htm

3. Should I scrap this whole I idea of pipe shield and upgrade to double wall stove pipe (more $$$)? Will the Metalbestos Dripless adapter fit inside double wall stove pipe?

4. Does any one have any pictures they could post of their install using stove pipe shield?

Thanks!

Like Metal said the double wall will be worth the money. However if you do go with the shields you'll need to cover from the stove collar to the support box, including your slip. For the record I had more than one customer opt for the shields, see them installed, and buy the double wall to replace it.

I'll play devil's advocate. Had the shields for about 10 years before we relocated the flue. I prefer the clean look of the double wall, but the shields do their job ok.

Shane is right, you'll need to protect everything from the support box to the flue collar with the shields. The NE ad picture is bogus. You'll need two kits to cover 60".

Status
Not open for further replies.