Question for those with double wall stove pipe with internal temp. probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I have double wall pipe and I'm not interested in adding an internal probe due to it being a telescoping pipe. Just for curiosity sake has anyone been able to see any type of relation between internal and external pipe temps? I know single wall is around half, I remember reading somewhere with double wall it's around a third. Every once and a while I hit the pipe with my IR gun just for kicks and figured I'd ask if anyone with both has noticed how they correlate to each other.

If my external temp is 300 could it be 900 internal, or 200 external could be 600 internal etc....

Tried this last season and didn't find a good correlation when comparing the probe temp with the surface temp using an IR thermometer. The surface temp varied radically depending on the distance from the stove. A few inches made a big difference.

That's what I figured, just wanted to toss it out there.

I'll second BG - I have not found any real world value of the external temp on double wall pipe. It really doesn't tell you anything in relation to the real flue temp.

I easily mounted my probe meter into the telescoping section of doube wall pipe. I have since removed the section of double wall pipe for maintenance and had no problem with the holes preventing the section from telescoping properly.

You know you want to measure the real thing. Just drill it.

Yes, the Condar probes just poke in the hole you drill and are held there by a magnet. It's easy to remove if you need to...just pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.