Questions with regard to Heatilator Constitution Hearth Installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njkev

Aug 31, 2008
New Jersey
I will have my Heatilator Constitution wood-burning fireplace installed by a dealer this next week. Note, this is NOT an insert. This is a complete tear-out of a Superior BFR-3875 wood-burning fireplace and chimney pipe!) I will be doing the demolition myself to save about $850.

The questions I have are as follows:

1.) I plan to raise the hearth (under the fireplace) by 6" with 2"x6" and 3/4" plywood. This would raise the total height of the hearth to 6 3/4". Is there any requirement for heat shield or insulation UNDER the unit itself? The dealer stated there is NO requirement for insulation (i.e. Micore 300) under the unit because the Constitution is a "Zero-Clearance" (ZC) fireplace. Is he correct?

2.) Assuming number 1 (above) is OK, I know that I have to build a hearth extension with the minimum dimensions of 20" x 41". I intend to build the hearth extension up to the 6 3/4" height of the hearth (under ther fireplace). What is the BEST combination of material to build the structure (up to the 6 3/4").

3.) I intend to use tile as the vertical surround of the fireplace (and a 60" wooden mantel around the tile). A large section of sheet-rock will be removed during the install of the Constitution. Do I replace the removed sheet-rock around the fireplace that I intend to grout and tile with 1/2" cement board?

I appreciate any comments and/or advice.

Thanks,
kevin

Hi NJKEV

I also am considering to purchase a Heatilator Constitution, can I ask what other brands you considered and why did you settle on the Constitution? I am also considering the Napoleon NZ26 and the XPR 36 Elite. Did you get EPA #'s? Efficient numbers etc?

Thanks

I settled on the Constitution because the dealer is a "friend of a friend" in the fireplace "wholesale" business. He only sells Heatilator brand fireplaces though. The Constitution is the only EPA Phase II compliant fireplace Heatilator sells. The price is right too....roughly a 35% discount off of "retail" MSRP. The Constitution is a real nice unit, and is perfect for my 2300sq ft colonial with open floor plan and 2-story foyer. However, if your sq. ft is less than 1500, or over 2800, you should consider a different unit. I've heard that the Quad 7100 is great for 3000 sq. ft or more.

Are you building a new house, adding a fireplace, or doing a complete tear-out like me? If you have an existing fireplace, why not simply install an insert? An insert is perfect for a smaller home in an existing fireplace. I would if I could fit something larger than a Lennox Striker C160!!

There is a .PDF on the EPA website that you can download that lists all of the EPA Phase II compliant stoves, inserts, and fireplaces. I used the EPA efficiency and BTU test results as an "apples-to-apples" comparison of the various manufacturer models because the test of each unit is performed in the same manner. Note that each manufacturer perform their own tests differently, and tend to inflate their numbers for marketing purposes.

BTW....Your issues and concerns have ONLY just begun. You read my post above, right??? Know anything about tile work??? :)

Kev

rfrazier said:
How do like the fireplace so far? I think I've decided against the Constitution in favor of an Elite 44.

I haven't used my unit yet. It has been way too warm in NJ....and I still have to complete my raised extended hearth. The Elite 44 looks real nice too but it would be overkill for my house....my house is a 2300sf center hall Colonial. Your chase depth must be like 28"! Mine is exactly 24"....just enough for the Constitution. BTW....How much was that unit including the the pipe and the installation?

Kev

Thankfully it has been warm up here as well, although we did have to turn on the heat last week for one night.

the cost is going to be around $6500 but that is priced with 24 ft of piping which I know will be less - so probably around 6300 or so. It actually was cheaper than the constitution I was quoted - if I went with the 36 that is. The 44 cost about 600 more or so but I think it will be worth it. I just got 5 truckloads of dry cord wood, uncut unsplit for $800 - I think I will get at least 7 maybe 8 cords out of it, so that's not bad for fuel for this winter :) I am hoping to recoup the cost of the fireplace in two seasons. If I can save 3K per year that will about do it - we spent almost 4500 last year and prices are higher now than the close of last season. Our house is also a Center hall but at around 2900 sq ft. I figured it was worth the extra 600 to put in the 44 - sure hope it works well.

rob

rfrazier said:
Thankfully it has been warm up here as well, although we did have to turn on the heat last week for one night.

the cost is going to be around $6500 but that is priced with 24 ft of piping which I know will be less - so probably around 6300 or so. It actually was cheaper than the constitution I was quoted - if I went with the 36 that is. The 44 cost about 600 more or so but I think it will be worth it. I just got 5 truckloads of dry cord wood, uncut unsplit for $800 - I think I will get at least 7 maybe 8 cords out of it, so that's not bad for fuel for this winter :) I am hoping to recoup the cost of the fireplace in two seasons. If I can save 3K per year that will about do it - we spent almost 4500 last year and prices are higher now than the close of last season. Our house is also a Center hall but at around 2900 sq ft. I figured it was worth the extra 600 to put in the 44 - sure hope it works well.

rob

I really liked the Quad 7100FP because it has a larger firebox. Mine is 2.7 cu. ft, while the Quad is 3.4 cu. ft. I would probably have purchased that one if I wasn't getting such a great deal on the Heatilator Constitution. A friend (of a friend) of mine is a wholesale dealer of Heatilator, and he gave me the unit, pipe, and professional install for $4500. (I did do the demolition of the old unit, & pipe, and lower/upper level walls myself).

BTW....I have looked at the EPA Certified wood Stoves document:
http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf
Interestingly, it lists the Elite 36 and Elite 44 (which have very large fireboxes) with Heat Output BTU/hr as follows:
Fireplace Xtrordinair Elite 36 Z.C. 11900-47100
Fireplace Xtrordinair 44 Elite Catalytic 11000-45300
My Heatilator Constitution which has a smaller firebox is listed as follows:
Northstar/Constitution 11,300-51,200

The information SEEMS to suggest that the Elite 36 provides more BTU/hr than the Elite 44, and the Constitution provides more than both the Elite 36 and 44! I would think that a largest firebox would provide the MOST BTU/hr. Am I missing something? Perhaps the stated BTU/hr simply indicates the range at which each unit remains in compliance to the EPA emissions...and NOT the real BTU/hr the unit is actually capable? Hopefully, someone reading this post can enlighten me?
Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.