Rain Cap Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburg

Jul 20, 2009
Central KY
I have an existing framed chimney with a 10 inch double lined insulated chimney with a rain cap. I am going to install a fireplace insert so I have to line my chimney with a 6 inch liner. My question is do I need to get a new rain cap or can I use my existing rain cap and attached the new liner to the existing chimney with some type of metal screws? Thanks for any input. This forum has been a huge help to me.

Not sure I totally understand your set up but I think so. You would need a flat top plate and then depending on how your cap fits you can put that on top of the chimney and have the liner stick out just enough, but not so much that the cap impedes the flow. You want a good 3+ inches between the top of your liner edge and the top of the cap.

I don't see why you couldn't utilize the existing cap and secure the liner in the middle with some L brackets and screws.

Definitely want to put a top plate on, not just brackets to center it. Without a top plate all the crud building up in and on the cap is going to fall back down the chimney and make a mess and a fire hazard.

Your existing chimney is for sure insulated and not air cooled? If it is not air cooled you could get a liner kit with cap and top plate, then just remove the old cap and stick the top plate on top with the new cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.