Range of temperatures on the convention blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your basement an open floor plan ?
If so you In my opinion you could go smaller to save some startup cost's, Like I said after you bring the materials upto temp that room will not be hard to heat Cinder block will hold temp for a LONG time especially if below grade , after that you could heat the room with a candle !! I would still go bigger, you could always vent the ceiling of the basement to the first floor to subsidize your heat upstairs.
My basement has stone walls (100yo home) and it never drops below 45 even if its 0 outside, its roughly 15 ft down and @ 20ft the ground stays around 50::F at all times (hence geo-thermal), If I was to put my pellet stove down there I would only ever need to run it on 1 to keep the area at a decent temp. My crawl space on the other hand is always my concern.....
House was built in 1930 and the basement wall's are the old cinder block very poris.I've been heating the basement with KO but that stinks and is getting to pricey.which is why I'm thinking of a pellet stove. I'll defiantly will be able to substain my heat up stairs...any word on the pelpro 120 seems like it my be the one

If I understand you, taking the chill out of your unfinished basement is your desire. A 50K stove like the Quadrafire 1200 Classic Bay seems a good choice. A big 50K Breckwell seems fine too. There are many units out there that will be fine. You can't get too big a pellet stove, but you can undersize. The ability to control the heat output with heat levels and thermostat control on most make it an easy chore. Important items are to like the stove, like your dealer/service tech if needed and to get good quality pellets. Good luck....

Reactions: Burd
House was built in 1930 and the basement wall's are the old cinder block very poris.I've been heating the basement with KO but that stinks and is getting to pricey.which is why I'm thinking of a pellet stove. I'll defiantly will be able to substain my heat up stairs...any word on the pelpro 120 seems like it my be the one

I have no experience with the stove you quoted, but it is almost IDENTICAL to my Big-E in size and features. I love my Big-E and we have been heating our house mostly with it (over 1600 sq ft with 12' ceilings and lots of doors !) we use ceiling fans to move the heat, but my stove or one like it in a 900 sq ft space !!! "forget about it" You will be fine. You probably will run it on 3 until the materials are upto temp than maybe 2 at most it should also have a thermostat hookup and should have a hi/lo--on/off--manual........hi/lo will turn the stove to setting 1 automatically when the t-stat is satisfied than back to your setting when it calls for heat (this saves your igniter and the electricity of heating it), on/off will shut it down when t-stat is satisfied and on and back to your setting when it calls for heat, and manual is just that......
We fill our hopper and than its good for 48hrs or so before its hungry for more pellets. On 2 you may go 3 days on a full hopper. Another nice feature is the manual "high fan" button which means you dont have to have the stove on high for the fan to run on high, this is nice to be able to move the heat further when the stove is on lower settings. And I love the hopper size "size DOES matter !"

An open vent between floors is not legal in most places. There are special fire stop vents that can be used, but building/fire inspectors don't like the practice.
I have no experience with the stove you quoted, but it is almost IDENTICAL to my Big-E in size and features. I love my Big-E and we have been heating our house mostly with it (over 1600 sq ft with 12' ceilings and lots of doors !) we use ceiling fans to move the heat, but my stove or one like it in a 900 sq ft space !!! "forget about it" You will be fine. You probably will run it on 3 until the materials are upto temp than maybe 2 at most it should also have a thermostat hookup and should have a hi/lo--on/off--manual........hi/lo will turn the stove to setting 1 automatically when the t-stat is satisfied than back to your setting when it calls for heat (this saves your igniter and the electricity of heating it), on/off will shut it down when t-stat is satisfied and on and back to your setting when it calls for heat, and manual is just that......
We fill our hopper and than its good for 48hrs or so before its hungry for more pellets. On 2 you may go 3 days on a full hopper. Another nice feature is the manual "high fan" button which means you dont have to have the stove on high for the fan to run on high, this is nice to be able to move the heat further when the stove is on lower settings. And I love the hopper size "size DOES matter !"
I'll look into the Big e your info is very encouraging. I'm hoping I won't have to use the wood stove as much...Thanks again for the great info

I have a Santa Fe and it keeps my 1300 sq ft 2 story cape nice and warm with an average use of a bag a day. IMO if you are just heating 900 sq ft the Santa Fe would be a good choice.

Wow talk about a coal highjack. where's the administrators when you need them...
Trying to be funny..Coal seems to be the way to go if your interested in burning a radiant stove.I am NOT looking for a radiant stove for the basement I'm looking for a convection stove that would be safer in my situation
The forum is 'Pellet and MULTI-FUEL'............... Why would anyone not point out if there is a better solution than using pellets? Heck, it could be corn, hazel nut shells, cherry pits, or a 1000 years worth of black hard carbon sitting underneath you. It's not a hijack, it's an attempt to open your eyes to all possibilities. My brother in law lives north of Reading and has a Keystoker in his uninsulated basement that heats his entire house where a pellet stove would be like peeing in the wind. Do what ever you want but keep your eyes open.
OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.