1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    In my case it was the only solution. I could not set enough traps.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Rats will relocate poison to where pets or kids can find it.

Ehouse
  3. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I broke the bars into quarters and clamped the quarters into a spring trap screwed to 8' long lumber that I inserted through a small hole in the lattice around my deck. Once the lumber was in, I closed off the hole. The chunks stayed in the trap as they were eaten. I like to think that I used the poison as safely and thoughtfully as possible.
  4. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Sounds like you took the precautions necessary...If I had rats, My priority would be getting rid of them using any and all methods I could find (including poison)!
  5. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
  6. Flatbedford

Loc:
    Wow!!!
  7. jrendfrey

jrendfrey Member

Loc:
    green mtns vt
    sugar makers around here use raw instant potatoes but thats for mice swells there gut and die. maybe you could use more of them? damn mice are chewing everything i got outside. hve you seen the giant rat traps they sell? its a giant mouse trap i figure itll work use peanut butter with marshmellow or dorito works awesome
  8. Flatbedford

Loc:
    The giant rats traps are only truly effective if they are tied down to something sturdy.
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I am getting a very bad picture in my head of Giant Rats walking around carrying Traps and snorting poison while looking at you and laughing!
  10. Flatbedford

Loc:
    Rats are pretty tough! That's not such a stretch. Or at least imagine a rat limping away with one of those giant traps on one leg. I once found only a tail in a mouse trap.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  11. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

You need to use a combination of traps and devices. Snap traps, glue traps, bucket traps, Rat Zapper. move them around. When you think you've killed them all, it's time for the poison. Killed six more with the poison. Nasty, nasty business.

Ehouse
  12. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    I found one in my eve space that had been pulled towards the main stack penetration.
    Petrified rat snake attached
    Decidied not to tell the GF about it
    semipro likes this.
  13. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    Oh, so you've been to New York, then.
    MasterMech and Eatonpcat like this.
  14. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    We had a lab that was the best rat catcher ever! Then we got this big Tom cat that would even bring home rabbits and game birds. Both are gone now. These new labs hunt, but don't have anything to show for it. I have caught mice by using a 5 gallon pail. Put a stick on it so the mice climb up, they jump Ito the pail for the bait, but can't jump out.
    I wonder if you used a big barrel, put a few inches of water in it, then floated some bait on some styrofoam if rats would go for it. Being in water, they shouldn't be able to jump out. I got a skunk that way using a trash barrel.
  15. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Some ferrets make excellent mousers and ratters. Make good pets too if you don't mind the musky smell, which BTW is supposed to terrify rodents.
  16. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester, Mass
    Ha Ha replace the rat problem with furry rats.

I guess trapping them is my best solution, anyone have luck with have a hearts and rats?... of course they would end up in a 5 gal bucket of water... but how do the traps work on rats?
  17. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Not furry rats, stinkin weasels :)
  18. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Why not use the snap traps? Havahearts are only useful if you really intend to release the varmint later.

If you have an established family of rats, you'll have a hard time keeping up with them with traps.
  19. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    True. Many critters feed on rats, most importantly owls. Instead of poison I used Tomcat rat traps with good success. Early on I was catching one a night using peanut butter as bait. One warning, wire the trap to a screw or nearby post. I lost a couple traps when the rats ran off with them. After wiring it down I didn't lose any more.

http://www.tomcatbrand.com/rat_snap_trap.html
  20. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Those are Jack Russell Terriers and having had many in my years of dog ownership, having 2 now still. They ARE great hunters! I have had to go out and break up a tug o war with a water rat! eWWw!