Rattle in the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Have a rattle in my stove and I am at a loss as to what it can be.

W en I am loading the stove and a piece hits the back of the firebox I can hear something rattling. I looked around the back of the firebox and cannot seem to find anything that is loose. Seems to be coming from the riht rear part of the stove.

Anyone else operating and F600 hear this when they load? Any ideas what it could be?

If there is firewood in the cradle, you gonna hav to be more awake for those early morning feedings of the baby and the stove.

jimbom said:
If there is firewood in the cradle, you gonna hav to be more awake for those early morning feedings of the baby and the stove.

LOL :)

I'm not familiar with the f600, but my f 400 rattle ends up being the rear heat shield. Maybe the top burn tubes loosened atad?

Don't have the same stove as you but my rear heat shield rattles. Could be that.

Funny thing is, i do not have the rear heat shield installed on the unit. Next time she cools I will check the secondary tubes again.

I know it's not back right but maybe door latch,thermometer,blower,leg assembly?

I think it's the Jotuling (yodeling) Yahoo, It sounds like a very faint Yoo hoooooooooo, i have had him here before.Run your stove good and hot and it's sure to do the trick.

I was going to go with rear heat shield . . . but seeing as there is no rear heat shield . . . bottom heat shield?

defiant3 said:
Poltergeist? Shoulda kept the Vigilant. They're rarely haunted.

It is possible that the Jotuls has been possessed by the Vigilqnt. I did keep one of the door handles as a souvenir....

firefighterjake said:
I was going to go with rear heat shield . . . but seeing as there is no rear heat shield . . . bottom heat shield?

Ain't got one of those either.

I am due for a sweep this weekend and will take a closer look. I think I am leaning towards the rear secondary tube, but am not absolutely certain at this time. Almost sounds like it is coming from behind the back of the firebox. I will have to take a good lok at the exploded diagram to see what parts are back there.

It's just the firebrick behind the rear burn plate. While loading the stove it may rock a little on an uneven hearth or just the vibration of droping wood into the firebox will generate your rattle. their is no harm with leaving the way it is. But if it really bothers you remove the rear burn plate and add some thin fiberglass gaket between the brick and the plate.
Cory

Chelmsford Fireplace Center said:
It's just the firebrick behind the rear burn plate. While loading the stove it may rock a little on an uneven hearth or just the vibration of droping wood into the firebox will generate your rattle. their is no harm with leaving the way it is. But if it really bothers you remove the rear burn plate and add some thin fiberglass gaket between the brick and the plate.
Cory

Thanks, Cory. That makes sense. The only thing about the rattle that bothered me was not knowing what was causing it.

Perhaps this summer I will tear the burn plate off and add the gasket. I actually have some for the maple sugaring operation so it will be easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.