Realistic lifespan of a Dutchwest plate stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I've been doing a little pricing/research on stoves lately and to me the Dutchwest stoves seem like a good deal. It seems they had some quality issues early on, but now that they've been acquired by VC they are much better. I'm not looking for anything overly fancy, just a nice big viewing window, so in that respect, the Dutchwest stoves are perfect. I'm planning on installing this stove in a newly built home that my fiancee and I will construct ourselves, and we plan to stay there 5-8 years at most. I'm not going to take the stove with me, so I don't need it to last 20+ years. That being said, even if I go with plate for affordability reasons, could I still expect 10 good years out of the stove?

I have a Century stove,I believe they are very similar to the plate steel dutchwest models.It works fine,my only advice would be to get one that loads n-s;mine loads e-w and can be a PITA.As for lifespan,10 years isn't too much to ask from a decent stove that is well maintained.

I have not looked closely at the Dutch, but Avalon and similar stoves have lasted 20+ years of moderate use - and even heavier use with interior parts replacement. What you want to look for is whether certain parts such as the baffle and air tubes can be easily replaced or repaired. Worst case in the far future (with plate stove) is to get someone to do some welding.

If I may ask, why not look at the Dutch cast units? The newer ones look pretty heavy duty - and, yes, the current Dutch has absolutely nothing to do with the early models. We are talking about 4 generations later!

Dutch west plate steel stoves are essentially Century stoves with a cast iron door Manufactured by CFM ,which owns Vermont castings
The stove bodies are made in Indiana and Canada the front door casting in Vermont

Another company that makes similar stoves is Englander, equal quality and among our membership here. Again North American made

Their casting are supplied by Vermont Castings as well.. These plate stoves should provide for many years of service with common sense and normal usage

I second the suggestion for looking at the Englander, Quadrafire 3100 or the Dutchwest cast iron units. There are much more clean burning. The emissions almost 1/4 that of the DW2000.

Where's Griz? :p

:roll: :gulp: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.