reducing the fireplace opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
My open fireplace, which we use a decent amount for ambiance weekend fires, sometimes puffed wisps of smoke out the front. By reading the forums here I learned that I should make sure the fireplace opening and flue diameter were at the proper ratio. Well, with some experimentation I found that the draft would improve a lot if I narrowed the opening about 2 inches. The pic below shows my temporary solution. Basically I just cut some hardware cloth and wrapped aluminum foil around it and hung it at the top of the opening. Well, of course I want to make something that looks better than that. So, I plan on fabricating something out of sheet metal. Questions for forum members:

1) what gauge metal to use (I don't want it to twist but I also don't want it to be really heavy)
2) what kind of metal should I use? Regular old steel? Galvanized? Aluminum?
3) how do I turn it black so that it will fade into the opening. Use stove paint?

Attachments

• DSCN5850.jpg
    DSCN5850.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,139
If it was me, and I decided to do something like that.. I would get a piece of 1/16th to 1/8th x 2" angle iron, cut it to fit, drill a couple holes, use masonry screws to hold it up. Paint with hi-temp BBQ or stove paint..

angle iron about $2, screws about $1, paint about $7 for the good stuff. $10 total.

I agree with Dakotas Dad. You can usually find 1/8" welding steel angle iron at your local hardware store. Cut it length and paint it with stove paint.

Installing a set of fireplace doors will probably have the same effect. They will reduce the size of the fireplace opening with the door frame. You'll accomplish your goal and have a set of functional doors. Easy peasy to install too.

My folks had a home with a "Heatolater" fireplace back in the mid 1980's.

I bought them a set of doors with spin drafts to help control the length of burn and for peace of mind. When the doors were closed and sealed, the glass doors kept sparks from popping out while letting a controlled amount of air in.

I happen to find a set like these at a flea market. They had never been installed. Heavy and pretty as they are, I uses high-temp sealant and Tapcon screws drilled through the steel front and into a mortar line. Then used black paint to color the blue screws a matching flat black.
Look at the question and answer tab, the metal framing, sheet work, cast doors, and etched glass emitt heat, even while closed. They are listed as a heating surface rated up to 30,000 btu's, so in your standard fireplace, they will provide heating into the room while preventing warmed air from going up your chimney when the fire grows low.

http://www.americanenergysystems.com/universal-doors.cfm

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.