Refurb a Russo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firephly

Nov 19, 2007
Metrowest
I recently came across a Russo "Glassview" (I believe) that I want to refurbish and install into an existing fireplace to help offset my oil costs. This stove is in good shape over all, but since it is "out" I plan on cleaning it up and installing new gaskets on the door and ash pan. Since this is a steel stove do I simply scuff it with a fine grit sand paper and paint it with the heat resistant paint? There is only slight surface rust except for the pipe coming out the back.

Secondly, when I pull this stove out I took the heavy adapter that goes from the exhaust pipe to the flange that goes up to the damper, and the "plate" on the other side. Is this sufficient to vent into an existing fireplace or do I need to purchase a kit (that I just was told retailed for $255)? From what I have read the only thing this kits provides is the additional 3 feet of flex pipe with two little legs. If this is a "yes" are there any good places to get this other that the local stove store? It seems that a lot of money for a simple kit. (Ripping nasty divorce has me watching my $$$$)

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.