Renovating chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
The chimney we are currently using is outside and is brick with a clay liner and has an air space between the liner and bricks. It extends a few feet above the first story roof and the liner is cracked in places. I want to reline it with new clay and extent it up about 4 feet to help the draft. My plan is to pour loose perlite around the clay liner to help insulate. I just want to run this by some of you and get some opinions. I have no desire to pay $$$$ for a ss liner or to pour one. I grew up with stone or brick chimneys with clay liners and love them because they are easy to keep up.

The chimney we are currently using is outside and is brick with a clay liner and has an air space between the liner and bricks. It extends a few feet above the first story roof and the liner is cracked in places. I want to reline it with new clay and extent it up about 4 feet to help the draft. My plan is to pour loose perlite around the clay liner to help insulate. I just want to run this by some of you and get some opinions. I have no desire to pay $$$$ for a ss liner or to pour one. I grew up with stone or brick chimneys with clay liners and love them because they are easy to keep up.
You should just spend the money on stainless steel liner and have the work done by a licensed professional.

Not what you want to hear but ss liner insulated is soooo much more efficient and safer that I would think you should rethink this if burning a stove or insert.

I can understand about not wanting to spend money on the SS liner . . . but as for upkeep . . . ??? . . . To my knowledge they just need to be swept like a clay liner . . . main difference being a SS liner doesn't crack.

Replacing a cracked clay tile liner in an existing chimney sounds like a tough job to me. For sure you would need a professional and I imagine it's an expensive job. As others stated going with the insulated SS flex liner would probably be a better way to go. I have two stoves at my house with one using a SS flex liner running down a large clay tile flue while the second stove is piped into a smaller clay tile liner with no flex liner. Both stoves burn fine and maintenance is low on both flues. However, where I'm running the straight clay tile flue I don't have an issue with cracked tiles needing replacement. If I did I would just throw a flex liner in it and go that direction.

I have no desire to pay $$$$ for a ss liner or to pour one. I grew up with stone or brick chimneys with clay liners and love them because they are easy to keep up.

What kind of upkeep do I have to expect with my 6-inch flex liner other than the occasional sweeping?

There is no maintenance to SS flex liners that are correctly installed, beyond sweeping. Most of them come with a lifetime warranty.

There is no maintenance to SS flex liners that are correctly installed, beyond sweeping. Most of them come with a lifetime warranty.

I know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.