1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Replaced the door gasket on the insert....

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Dustin92, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Dustin92

Dustin92 Member

Loc:
    Jackson, MI, USA
    We finally got around to replacing the door gasket on our Englander 28-jc insert, and woweee wow wow wow! What a difference! I really didnt think it was that bad, but we were starting to get smoke in the house. The stove is working much better, the cat lit off super easy, and is producing TONS more heat than before. I actually laid an oven thermometer on the stovetop and it was up to 475 degrees with the blower off the last time I checked, and about 375 with the blower cranking. I think the basement was up to about 75 degrees in about 20 minutes.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT

How many years was the current gasket in use?
  3. Dustin92

Dustin92 Member

Loc:
    Jackson, MI, USA
    Well, we have lived here since august, but the gasket was original, and was missing in some areas.
  4. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    missing in some areas is big......had to be letting in a lot of unregulated air
  5. Dustin92

Dustin92 Member

Loc:
    Jackson, MI, USA
    I didnt think to check before the gasket was replaced, but after it had dried and I started a fire, I held a lit incense stick around the doors, and no smoke was sucked in.
  6. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    Sounds like a good trick. I always did the paper test, but I will keep that in mind.
  7. Dustin92

Dustin92 Member

Loc:
    Jackson, MI, USA
    I think I had seen it on here. It was hard to tell what was happening along the bottom of the doors because the air intakes are in. the doors.