replacing fireplace hearth - how to?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingindc

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Arlington, VA
We are in the process of replacing the tile on our fireplace hearth with a piece of granite. The hearth is designed to be level with the fireplace box and the hardwood floor in the living room. I removed the tile, grout, and mastic down to the original concrete hearth pad, and I've ordered a piece of granite, but I'm stumped on what to do next. The concrete pad is not level, and the opening in the floor is deeper than the granite slab. I don't know if I need to shim it somehow before I install the granite (with wood? or something fireproof?), or if I need to pour more concrete or add some other substance to make a perfectly level surface to the correct depth.

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Gina

Will the granite slab be perfectly flat on the bottom? If not, it may need to be bedded in soft cement. Ask a mason to be sure, but my guess would be to clean out the debris, vacuum well, wet down the uneven pad, then use cement to level out the area to the correct depth, then place the stone on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.