Replacing the gasket/rope/seal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I already bought enough of it for several seasons. I have the cement to.

However, when I took the rope off that came on the stove, the glue is blackened and it won't come off. I even tried using needle nose pliers to grab it. Nothing. I also don't want to chip the enamel.

So is it ok to leave the old cement or is does it have to come out?

What is the right way to get it out?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I scraped mine out of the door channel with a flat head screwdriver.

I've used a wire wheel that fits the groove, powered by a dremel tool or a cordless drill. Safety glasses , vacuum and take your time. Just saw that it's enamel. Do a little test spot, should be fine. I've always put my rope's in with high temp silicone, next time it's easy to clean up.

So the old cement definitely needs to come out...yes?

Thanks

-Emt1581

So the old cement definitely needs to come out...yes?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Yes. Otherwise you increase the chance of the gasket not sitting level (creating a leak) and not sticking well (resulting in the gasket falling out).

I use both, a screwdriver and a wired brush.

Also, since this is a VC stove we are talking about, be sure to use the right size gasket for each area. Door gasket, top griddle, and ash pan all use different size gaskets.

I use the wire wheel in a drill method and it works a treat.

Also, since this is a VC stove we are talking about, be sure to use the right size gasket for each area. Door gasket, top griddle, and ash pan all use different size gaskets.

That's cute. I'm guessing that this is something unique to VC stoves and that other manufacturers standardized all the different parts to fit the same size gasket...?

I appreciate you mentioning it. However I'm 99.9999% sure the guy that sold me my stove at the stove shop set me up with the right size.

Now I noticed that the other gaskets barely look warn whearas the griddle's looked petrified and compressed. Is this normal? Do the gaskets on the doors/ash pan not need to be replaced nearly as often?

As far as the enamel...how do I want to go at this to get the cement off WITHOUT damaging it? I do have a dremmel with all the different bits if that helps.

I just don't want to go stabbing and jabbing at this thing with a screw driver if it's going to harm my stove.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Maybe try to find some kind of a brush for the dremel or drill that has heavy plastic bristles. I would think if the cement is on enamel, it shouldn't be that bonded to get off. Verses bare cast iron it would adhere better.

That's cute. I'm guessing that this is something unique to VC stoves and that other manufacturers standardized all the different parts to fit the same size gasket...?

No, other stoves do this as well, but it is more noticeable on VC stoves due to the fact that they use more gaskets than other stoves.

Now I noticed that the other gaskets barely look warn whearas the griddle's looked petrified and compressed. Is this normal? Do the gaskets on the doors/ash pan not need to be replaced nearly as often?

The griddle is is going to look like that more quickly as it is a different type of gasket. The ash pan gasket will need changing the least. The doors and griddle will probably need to be changed every two to three years, maybe longer.

As far as the enamel...how do I want to go at this to get the cement off WITHOUT damaging it? I do have a dremmel with all the different bits if that helps.

I just don't want to go stabbing and jabbing at this thing with a screw driver if it's going to harm my stove.

Thanks!

-Emt1581[/quote]

Only thing I can say is 'be careful.' I managed to clean out the gasket channels on the doors and top griddle with no damage to the older Encore I have, but the enamel finish on stoves, and VCs in particular, are fragile. I would try the wire wheel rather than using a screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.