'Reverse' Stovepipe Adaptor - 6" Class A to Black Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
I know the practice is frowned on, but my chimney arrangement uses Class A through the first floor ceiling, then back to a black pipe offset of about 2 feet, then up through attic and roof with Class A. The offset is easily removed so the chimney can be cleaned from indoors. Essentially, everything has worked fine for over 15 years.

However, the joint between the Class A pipe and the (male) black pipe fitting has always been something of a cobble. The internal diameter of the Class A is less than the standard 6" black pipe crimped fitting and judicious additional crimping doesn't provide the best seal.

What I'd like to have is an adaptor that would accept the OD of the Class A (about 8") on one side and accept a standard 6" crimped black pipe on the other. Overall height about 2 1/2" - 3"

I made a drawing (attached, I hope) and took it to a local sheet metal man, but he seems to be too busy to bother with it. I expect I can find someone else to make it up for me, but I wonder if any of you have ever seen such an adaptor available for sale. I haven't been able to find one anywhere on the web.

Linked leads (if any) would be very welcome.

Thanks Much.

Peter B.

-----

Attachments

• pipe_adaptor.jpg
    pipe_adaptor.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 249
Sorry, not much help here for jerry-rigging a direct code violation. Maybe try www.hearthtalk.com :)

Sorry, not much help here for jerry-rigging a direct code violation. Maybe try http://www.hearthtalk.com

Signature
PE Alderlea T6 - the gentle giant

“When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.”
- Mark Twain -

Well, I have to admit, that response seems a bit severe... especially when I'm trying to improve the installation.

But as Mr. Twain also said (in an entirely different context): "Homely truth is unpalatable."

Peter B.

-----

Improving the installation is good. Making it legal would be an improvement. What's stopping it from being done entirely with class A? A flue brush should go through a couple 30 degree class A elbows pretty well.

Here's a quick pic of the existing setup...

After 18 prior seasons of use, I have NO lingering doubts that this is a safe installation. And in an isolated rural setting, no one else need fear should I burn myself out. In an older farmhouse (which has been host to multiple families of squirrels), I have more concerns about my wiring than about my chimney.

The stove I'm using is not ultra-clean burning and the black pipe will (admittedly) always collect creosote... but the ease of clean out is so much enhanced over climbing the roof (even only twice a year), that I'll likely be sticking with a variation on this theme.

Given my experience with a chimney brush and fiberglass rods, I don't think it likely I'd be able to clean the whole works (with the suggested Class A elbows) without disassembly, and though I've downloaded a catalog of Class A chimney products (with elbow dimensions), I likewise have doubts I can shoehorn the works into the space available.

So... I guess I know where I stand here, and I'd best close out this thread without additional comment.

Thanks.

Peter B.

-----

Attachments

• existing_chimney.jpg
    existing_chimney.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 220
It's always considered "safe" until there's an accident or a fire. But it does look like this could be made safer with a pair of 30 degree class A elbows. How is the upper section of class A supported? It looks crooked, but maybe that is just the angle of the photo?

Just curious, why wasn't the stove connected into the chimney flue with a liner? Is is in use for another purpose or in bad shape?

BeGreen wrote:

It’s always considered “safe” until there’s an accident or a fire. But it does look like this could be made safer with a pair of 30 degree class A elbows. How is the upper section of class A supported? It looks crooked, but maybe that is just the angle of the photo?

The photo angle is responsible for the apparent cant of the upper section of Class A. It's supported above as I recall, from a (proper) bracket in the attic and 'steadied' by a plate restricting movement at the through-ceiling point.

Also:

Just curious, why wasn’t the stove connected into the chimney flue with a liner? Is is in use for another purpose or in bad shape?

The original masonry chimney was partially demo'd and roofed over before I bought the house.

--

Despite what I've said so far, the notion of eliminating a known 'creosote trap' does have its appeal... but it's just not likely to happen this year... and I thought a few dollars for a stovepipe adaptor might be worth my while.

Maybe when I buy the (180 degree turnaround from my current stove) Pacific Energy 'Fusion' I have my eye on, I'll go ahead and try to incorporate the Class A chimney into the works... in the hopes that I'd only need to clean out once a year.

Speaking of which... any Fusion owners out there? Comments on the stove?

Thanks again.

Peter B.

-----

The straighter the run the better. With class A and 30 deg elbows, there will be a lot less cooling of the pipe. Couple that with an EPA stove and it should only need an annual clean as long as the wood is good. Why the offset? What's blocking a straight-up pipe?

On the inside, I think the Fusion is a Super27 at heart. That stove has a strong track record.

BeGreen wrote:

The straighter the run the better. With class A and 30 deg elbows, there will be a lot less cooling of the pipe. Couple that with an EPA stove and it should only need an annual clean as long as the wood is good. Why the offset? What’s blocking a straight-up pipe?

On the inside, I think the Fusion is a Super27 at heart. That stove has a strong track record.

If I recall (it has, after all, been 18 years since I installed the chimney), I used existing 'throughways' and cuts in the ceilings and floors to route the Class A... and judged (at the time) it might actually be beneficial to be able to clean from inside the house... hence the offset.

Everything seemed temporary and readily changeable back then... now it seems a major undertaking to even contemplate changes.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Fusion. After all these years 'without', I'd like to be able to see the dam fire... the antique stoves may be nice 'on the outside', but not even a mica window can match glass.

Maybe next year for the Fusion... along with a bay window on the south wall right behind it.

Meanwhile, I'll take bids on the Round Oak...

Peter B.

-----

Status
Not open for further replies.