Room Size vs Total Sq Ft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin102466

Aug 7, 2023
Manchester NJ
Why does Harman give specs on total sq ft covered with a particular stove but also room size? I have 1400 square ft total living space but 600 of it is one room in an open floor plan style. The Absolute 43 does roughly 2400 sq ft but it says it’s for only medium size rooms up to 400 sq ft. Do I go by total living space or just the room it’s going on?

I did a quick search and pulled up this site.

When I went to room size, this is what I got (at the bottom of the page)
1698047758244.png

Even the visuals are confusing. So I think they are trying to help on what size stove will fit well and look right in a room, not what it will heat. The bigger the stove, the more clearance to combustibles is needed. So like a P63 wouldn't fit in a 10x10 room very well.

It also may have something to do with how efficient the stove would be (by size) since a larger stove in a smaller room would most likely short cycle (and not necessarily heat any other rooms because of that short cycling).

You not only have to take into account the sq/ft , but also the cubic feet. So if the room it is in is 600 sq/ft, but it has 18' ceiling, the answer to whether the stove is right would be different than if you have 8' ceilings.