1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

ROTW...Potato and ham soup...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by GAMMA RAY, Apr 10, 2012.

1. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    This is a good recipe to use up that leftover ham. I double the recipe and I do not peel the potatoes.
    My pic does not do it justice...ok the pic sucks...so I added some peeps for "distraction"...;lol
    I know I know...I am cracked in the head...:confused:
    But boy does my house smell good...

http://www.grandmaskitchen.com/recipes/heart-warming-soups/chunky-potato-soup/

Any good recipes out there to use up the leftover easter ham?
    Do share... pot soup.jpg

Anyways...we need a lil "happy" time now...things gettin a lil heated in some other areas..;)
    pen and zap like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Yep, I get up every couple of hours and stumble down to the kitchen for a snack and in a few days it is gone!:) The Dragon Lady doesn't like the commotion or mess though!

Gary
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I'll save that one for a cold day. Thanks.`
  4. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    I think I might give that a try for Mrs D tomorrow night, thanks Gamma.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Looks great Gamma, the wife is making some pea soup tomorrow with some of the Easter Ham, she made some Raisin Sauce on Sunday that was great.

zap
  6. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I hope the 2 little peeps didn't keel over after tasting it!:p
    Seriously though, that soup looks SOOOOO good, Gamma. We don't do much ham around here.
    zap and ISeeDeadBTUs like this.
  7. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    Sandwiches maybe? I think I've always cave-manned it and picked the meat off the bone until it was clean. If I make a sandwich out of leftover meat like that, I try to keep it simple so I don't bury the flavor in other stuff... a touch of mustard (for a zing), iceberg lettuce (for crunch) wheat bread (because that's what's around the house).
  8. HollowHill

HollowHill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Smoky Black Bean and Ham Bone Soup recipe:

2 cups dried black beans
    1 meaty ham bone, plus 1 1/2 cups meat from the bone
    4 cups chicken broth
    4 cups water
    1 bay leaf
    1 T olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, uct into 1/4" dice
    1 medium clove garlic, minced
    1/2t sweet Hungarian paprika
    1/4 t Spanish smoked paprika (pimenton)
    1/8 t dried oregano
    1/2cup chipotle salsa (I use Pace Picante Sauce, Med with 1 t ground chipotle)
    1/4 cup dry sherry (I use slurp vinegar)

Soak beans overnight and then drain.

Transfer beans to large, heavy-bottomed pot and add ham bone. Pour broth and water over beans and add bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium; partially cover and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender yet still hold their shape. Add water if needed. Reduce heat to medium-lo or low as needed to maintain gentle bubbling.

Turn off heat when beans are done; let the soup cool for about 10 minutes.

Use tongs to transfer ham bone to cutting board. Cut meat off bone in chunks, then cut into small pieces or shred. Discard bone.

Discard bay leaf. Use a stick blender to coarsely puree black beans in the broth so that some are mashed and some remain whole.

Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions. Cook for 5 minutes, until they begin to soften, then stir in the garlic and cook for 7 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle in both kinds of paprika and the oregano. Add salsa and cook for a minute or two.

Transfer the onion mixture to the soup, along with the reserved ham. Stir in the sherry, if using. Reheat the soup over medium-low heat just long enough for it to warm through.

Serve with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
    GAMMA RAY likes this.
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Wow that sounds great!==c

Your's looked great also Gamma!;)
  10. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Thanks Gamma. We were on the mood for hand and mashed potatoes and biscuits yesterday being that it was raining and we were lazy yesterday. i went to the market and bought a 7lb ham which we made 1/4 of and we still had left overs. i will definitely try this tonight. Im sure the wife will love it. We have all of the ingredients except for the peeps.I just have to go find some peeps. hahahhaha.
  11. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    My version of Clapshot 1/3 each of boiled taters,turnips and parsnips. Boil and mash them up with butter and a little milk or cream and add a little crumbled up bacon and 1/8 t. of nutmeg.

Gary
  12. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    was "black eyed peas and jowls" last night for me, kept it simple, soaked out the beans 2 minute boil and set for 90 minutes off heat, added diced simmered jowls, seasalt, coarse ground pepper (a lot of it :) ) ,thyme, a little sage, and a dollup of sorghum molasses. left on low heat for about another 45 minutes.

not a meal to take a picture of but i ate so much i hurt myself;)
    Eatonpcat likes this.