S. H. Ransom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TruckMen

Feb 27, 2019
Stockton Springs, ME
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me any history of and how rare this stove may be? I am attaching some files showing it.
Cast in the front is the name Ransom / Albany

2020 1124 - Antique Ransom Wood Stove - 02.jpg 2020 1124 - Antique Ransom Wood Stove - 04.jpg 2020 1124 - Antique Ransom Wood Stove - 05.jpg 2020 1124 - Antique Ransom Wood Stove - 08.jpg

S.H. Ransom is an old stove company with quite a history. I suspect the stove is from the early 1800's but you would need to do some research. We had what I think was a later stove from this foundry a while back. Have you read this thread?

The stove portraits make me wonder if this was a commemorative edition. It's missing its legs and top finial, do you have this? If not, that will diminish value.

Last edited:
TruckMen I found this paticular parlor stove. The design was patented in 1847. It is rare and if complete and in good condition, quite valuable. Scroll down 4 stoves. Do you own one?

"This Albany NY parlor stove most likely commemorates a European Dynasty with the royal members embossed on the front. Helmeted warriors are cast on each side. An unbelievable example of the talent and craftsmanship of the day."