Scavenging Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Today, while riding my bike in this sparsely populated area of far northern California, I noticed a recently-cut down and cut up tree. It is off of the side of the road on an exit from the freeway. It is definitely not private property; it is Caltrans land.

So the question is, can I go and harvest it? I can park safely on the shoulder. I figure that if they didn't want people to take it, they wouldn't have cut it up into fireplace sized pieces.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Al

I think you oughta call CalTrans. Rick

Yes, but the thing is, I wonder if it's one of those things where if someone asks, they'll say no (for legal reasons), but they really would like to have someone take it.

If its not private property and very safe to pull over, take it. It will probably just be wasted.

fossil said:

+1

You may be breaking some major regulation, you never know. It ain't worth it, there is free wood everywhere.

Usually when dealing with government I've found it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Usually when dealing with government I’ve found it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

+1

KC

By the time you get a straight answer from a governmental organization, the wood will be gone.....or will have rotted. :lol:

fossil said:

+ Whatever . . . because you never know . . . and just taking something because it is there and public isn't always right.

That said . . . if they give you any run-around about legality and liability you might go about it by asking them if anyone would be upset if the wood just happened to disappear one day . . . in other words . . . have them give you permission without actually giving you permission . . . if the wood is truly free and good to go they just might say it wouldn't bother anyone if the wood was there one day and then gone the next.

I think I'd go ahead and pick it up. I agree that it probably isn't allowed, but it seems like a victimless crime to me. Caltrans doesn't burn wood; they'll probably just dump it over a hill. If you can find the guys who cut it, they are probably the ones to ask. Either they'll say you definitely aren't allowed, or they may wink and nod and say they aren't the ones to ask, but if the wood just walked away it would save them some work.

Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

That wood belongs to somebody and if you take it without permission you are a thief! Even if the owner lets it rot, it is still their property. Simply put, I would pass on this or find out who the owner is.

Wood Duck said:
If you can find the guys who cut it, they are probably the ones to ask. Either they'll say you definitely aren't allowed, or they may wink and nod and say they aren't the ones to ask, but if the wood just walked away it would save them some work.

Heh, I was just about to suggest that, so thanks for reading my mind. :)

Personally, I'm an asker. It's always the neighborly thing to do. I don't even grab cool stuff dumped by the curbside unless there's a "For Free" sign by it, or firewood for that matter, even though I pass tons of it after a storm. I'll always knock on the door and ask. Makes a good way to meet new neighbors at any rate.

I don't think the modern world is well served by folks bending the rules (and their consciences) to suit their needs. I'm not judging, but my feeling is that if there was any doubt in your mind, you wouldn't be asking our opinion. I always go with my instincts and try not to lie to myself. Can't always be 100% successful, but at least that is my goal.

As far as the wood getting wasted otherwise? Trust me, the microbial world will love the stuff. ;-)

Cut and stacked on a public highway. Not anywhere near private property. Safe place to pull off the road. I'd take it. Just move fast!

This is done by road crews often. They buck it with the hopes of someone taking and using it - so they don't have to haul it.

I say - grab it. If who ever bucked it wanted it - it wouldn't be sitting there on the side of the road.

It's probably gone now anyway. He who hesitates.....

fossil said:

+1. Ask. They'll tell you that it's up for grabs, first come first serve, it that's their policy.
Around here, if they cut trees on road frontage right-of-way because of highway or power lines, it belongs to the landowner.
If you mistake it for free wood, assuming it is free because a government truck cut it up, you are stealing. Seen it done.

But if it's on government / public property, they'll be happy to tell you that it's free. And then you'll know! :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

That wood belongs to somebody and if you take it without permission you are a thief! Even if the owner lets it rot, it is still their property. Simply put, I would pass on this or find out who the owner is.

+1

Good advice on both sides. I called Caltrans this morning, and they said that as long as it was safe, I could take it. I recorded the conversation also, in case there's any issue.

This is an advantage in living in a rural area -- the government is less bureaucratic.

I got a full truckload

AirportRoad.jpg

and I'll go back for another on Sunday. I think I'll have to do some splitting then, to get the rounds small enough to lift.

The wood is out of sight unless you're on a bike, and I even missed it at first when looking for it. That's why no one else has gotten it yet.

Very nice! Mabey call back with a big "Thanks", 'cause you know they rarely hear that from the public. And then, your contact info. for when they cut next. You could be on to something there.

Great score. What kind of wood is it? Oh to have a truck, very handy indeed. I put a piece of plywood on top of my 12' boat trailer since I only have an SUV. But it has brought in some firewood! And lately so has the SUV.

So is that Arcata, Eureka, McKinleyville or Crecent City? I went to Humboldt and lived in Blue Lake for awhile...

It's fir. Not the best, but it's what we have around here. The wood was in McKinleyville.

BTW, I'm sitting in front of our Regency Warmhearth with a fire going right now. It was 45 degrees this morning, and we generally need fires year round here on the coast.

Nice! I would have scooped it without asking, but it is definitely always better to ask.

WarmGuy said:
Good advice on both sides. I called Caltrans this morning, and they said that as long as it was safe, I could take it. I recorded the conversation also, in case there's any issue.

This is an advantage in living in a rural area -- the government is less bureaucratic.

I got a full truckload and I'll go back for another on Sunday. I think I'll have to do some splitting then, to get the rounds small enough to lift.

The wood is out of sight unless you're on a bike, and I even missed it at first when looking for it. That's why no one else has gotten it yet.

Nice going WarmGuy. That is doing the right thing and you got the reward. The world needs more people like you.

Beetle-Kill said:
Very nice! Mabey call back with a big "Thanks", 'cause you know they rarely hear that from the public. And then, your contact info. for when they cut next. You could be on to something there.

I was thinking along the same lines . . . a short thank you and a by-the-way-here's-my-contact-info-if-you-ever-want-to-get-rid-of-more-wood info couldn't hurt . . . and kudos for asking . . .

When I was a kid, the older guys I hung out with talked me into raiding the local apple orchard. When I came back all proud of myself, carrying a pillow case full of apples, my dad knew damn well what was up. He wanted to know if I asked the farmer if I could have them. Of course, I hadn't.

Then he proceeded to tell me about when he was a kid and came home with a bag of corn from a nearby farm. Even though it was the Depression, and my grandpa was feeding 8 kids on $12/wk digging ditches, he was furious that my dad had taken the corn without asking. Dad got hit with several ears square in the head before he made his escape.

My dad reached his hand into the bag of apples, and I went running. He was a catcher in his youth and had quite a throw to second. I didn't get far. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.