Scrounging Opportunities.... Brushpiles//UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Hearth Supporter
Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I have a chance to get some free wood, if I want it. Apparently, this is the result of some land being cleared. I don't normally associate brushpiles with good wood but this is easy access to me. Will check it out tomorrow.

Since I'm nearly 2 years ahead with wood, I can be picky. I figure to take anything 3" or greater in diameter. It's mighty warm in Arkansas in July to be chainsawing. I've got plenty of space to stack back at the homestead. Nothing wrong with being 3-4 years ahead.

Have completed 2 hauls of wood. 1st one was only 1/2 load b/c wood was stilled pushed in a pile. Next day was much better as the farmer pulled about 20 logs out into the pasture. Wood is pretty dry lots of bark falling off when I was chainsawing. That's always a good sign. However after splitting a couple pieces still shows moisture reading 35% +-, so I'll don't think I'll burn it this year. There's enough wood to keep me very busy for the forseeable future.

Attachments

• scrounge 1 (2).JPG
    scrounge 1 (2).JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 446
...and look out for snakes.

Chances are the piles were pushed together with a dozer and the wood will be quite dirty. I did a lot of that sort of cleanup work on pipeline construction and it was murder on the chains.

Jags said:
You know the rules: Pictures please....or it never happened.

+1

LLigetfa said:
Chances are the piles were pushed together with a dozer and the wood will be quite dirty. I did a lot of that sort of cleanup work on pipeline construction and it was murder on the chains.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Fortunately, I had 5 chains sharpened free of charge this spring.

Im working through 7 big oaks and ash myself that were cleared to build a house. So far so good. The owner is a friend and there is no time crunch. The wood is pretty clean but picking my way through the branches are slowing me down. I decided to trash anything smaller than 3" in diameter and pile it out of the way.

Checked out the piles and will begin sawing week after next. (vacation next week)
While the wood is dozed into piles, there's a lot of 3-6" diameter pieces in various lengths. I'm sure there are several truck loads for the taking. Figure 3 loads per cord for a 6' bed. Piles are right in a pasture so it's easy pickins. Farmer's going to push the piles out for me which will make for easier access.

Just depends on how much sawing I want to do in late July 90+ degrees.

Will have pics when the cuttin starts.

see pics

Attachments

• scrounge 1 (1).JPG
    scrounge 1 (1).JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 410
When I hear "brush piles" that pic is not what comes to mind. I worked many slash and burn operations and that size and bigger we almost always cut, skidded, and piled off to the side. The small stuff got bulldozed into brush piles to burn.

2 hours and 3 gallons of sweat later is...............

Attachments

• Woodstack725.JPG
    Woodstack725.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 420
leftyscott said:
2 hours and 3 gallons of sweat later is...............

Ok I'll put a beer in the fridge for ya when you done. Warning - if you are not here in the next hour or so to claim it, my wife or I may drink it. Careful now that will be Canadian beer!

Lefty, that looks great. You very well might find that come winter that wood might be ready to burn. After the splitting, get it stacked and placed where wind will hit the side of the piles. Right under the bark will probably be the worst spots for moisture because of it being laid on the ground before you got it.

Sweating in the summer does no harm for sure! But be careful too of poison ivy on the wood as you don't want too much of that while sweating....especially if you have to relieve yourself outdoors. Nasty.....

I get sweaty just thinking of you splitting that this time of year... nice to be in a position to be picky as well.

Wet1 said:
Nice! White oak?

Yes, and it was very easy to split due to its' age.

Status
Not open for further replies.