Seal both ends?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
When I installed my VC Montpelier insert I pulled 6"flexible SS liner down my internal masonry chimney. The old flue was 8x12 clay pipe. The top 5 feet of the chimney is above the roof line so I filled the gap between the liner and the clay pipe with Roxul for the top 5 feet. My hope was that this would keep the liner warm and prevent any excess creosote or condensation there.

For the top of the clay pipe I made a SS cap that I sealed to the clay to prevent any warm air from working its way up the old flue.

I just finished a sweep and got about a quart of fine black powder from the 15 feet of liner.

My question is should I seal the bottom end also? I've seen a number of discussions on block off plates and Roxul at the old damper frame. If the top is well sealed will there be much gain from sealing the bottom also?

Thanx for your help and advice...

KaptJaq

It's less of an issue with an interior chimney, especially if the masonry is somewhat exposed in the house so that it can release the heat back into the house when the fire has died down. Also, an interior chimney is at room temperature vs outdoor temp which can help maintain draft and significantly reduce creosote buildup as long as dry wood is being burned.

I have the same set up chimney wise, sealed at the top, with no wool.

That's a good idea, though. I'm gonna steal it and run with it. The Dixette can stuff it ( %-P ) when she's checking the chimneys.

My brick fireplace is exposed on both sides. Front covered with ceramic tiles, and the back has those old "fake bricks" over cement board. When the insert is going 24/7, I can leave at 8:30 AM and come home at 7:30 Pm, and the chimney is still warm. I think it helps a lot with keeping the heat going.

Status
Not open for further replies.