sealing stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
Is it best to seal the pipe fittings from the stove into the chimney? I am noticing what seems like some air getting in the pipe from the stove up. Can I use the refactory cement on all the joints? And if I do seal the pipe into the stove and the timble will I be able to get it back apart to clean the chimney as I have no clean out.

Also my norton antivirus keeps kicking my login in off. Any idea on what I need to unclick to prevent this evertime I log in?

I used stove cement on my pipe joints this year, and just took them apart last weekend with no problem. The stuff I used Rutland, was pretty brittle, and broke apart easy.

struggle said:
Is it best to seal the pipe fittings from the stove into the chimney? I am noticing what seems like some air getting in the pipe from the stove up. Can I use the refactory cement on all the joints? And if I do seal the pipe into the stove and the timble will I be able to get it back apart to clean the chimney as I have no clean out.

Also my norton antivirus keeps kicking my login in off. Any idea on what I need to unclick to prevent this evertime I log in?

Go for the Penguin! :) Install Linux and you don't have to worry about Notrun, because w/ Linux you basically don't have to worry about virus problems.

Gooserider

I sealed the pipe tonight with rutland. I had a sliding pipe in place that was not screwed down ( I could see an airwash pattern where the end of the one pipe was in the other) and the 90 deg turn into the chimney/thimble? I found to have a rather large gap on the underside. It was a heavier guage 90 but was compressed (looked accordian style bend) and all along that seem I could see light around it. So I replaced it with a 24 guage Menards black pipe and cemented it in place.

My concern for doing this is I swept the chimney today and found a lot of creosote at the lower couple of feet of the chimney. Further up it was fairly clean so it seemed. I pulled less than a 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of stuff out. Which is little compared to some other cleanings in the past. Outside chimney,clay tile 8x8. I am guessing it is built to spec but have no realy idea of how to tell other than it draft very well.

I will look into that other virus stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.