Side plates for Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7x6elk

Oct 5, 2008
Northern Me
I have an older Jotul model 118 wood stove which I was given. It appears to be in pretty good shape except that the two side plates are cracked and warped, and I would assume that I need to replace them. I have checked prices, and as I'm sure you know, they are quite expensive. I am wondering if I could replace the side plates with firebrick and refractory cement? Would that give the stove enough protection? Would the stove still function properly? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you can easily fit firebrick and refractory in there, although it might do the job.
If I was in a pinch and really in the DIY mood, I would fab 'em out of thin stainless steel with some bends in it....like corrugated....something like that, anyway.

There are two types of 118 side plates - the newer UL models had a much larger plate. The older had a smaller liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.