Sierra Woodstoves - Good Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill 700

Hearth Supporter
Jun 16, 2009
NC
Can anyone that has a Sierra woodstove give me some feedback on the quality of these stoves?

Would you buy another one?

Thanks,

Bill

average at best. the non cats are a very simple unit, some parts kinda cheesy... the cat ones have the catalyst installed almost as an afterthought to the system... They have the Shenendoah units, which are thin, epa exempt units that throw alot of heat and have quite a following in many parts, however...

Thanks for your feedback.

What would you recommend as a good value in a steel hearth stove and in a steel free standing stove?

I looked at the Pacific steel stoves. They get 80% plus with no cat conv. Stainless steel baffles. Look like an excellent stove. Unfortunately I'm in NC and the nearest dealer is in KY. Any idea what the Spectrum, Super 27, and Super Step Top retail for?

Bill

Farmer Bill said:

What would you recommend as a good value in a steel hearth stove and in a steel free standing stove?

I looked at the Pacific steel stoves. They get 80% plus with no cat conv. Stainless steel baffles. Look like an excellent stove. Unfortunately I'm in NC and the nearest dealer is in KY. Any idea what the Spectrum, Super 27, and Super Step Top retail for?

Bill

Super 27 heritage edition will run you @ 1650
spectrum will go @ 2100-2600 depending on finish and trim options
step top goes @ 1800

Mellow,

I looked at the Buck Stove website and it looks like all their stoves have an efficiency <75% and therefore don't qualify for the 30% tax credit. And then long term, that means more firewood to cut/haul/split every year.

Hey, how do you like that Flame XTD 1.5?

Bill

Buck stoves are eligible for the tax credit, check here for a list of the models: http://www.buckstove.com/recoverytaxcredit.html

The XTD is doing good so far, no real complaints, I mainly bought it to try out a non-catalytic stove. My next stove will have a cat in it. Days like today where it is in the 40's outside I could be running it low and slow and not worry about it, which is a majority of the season around here, or atleast it was the usual.

Mellow,

Thanks man. I missed that. I looked at model 21, and their info showed 63% efficiency, and 261 showed the same.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.