Small hotter fire with BKK.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ohlongarm said:
Gotta love those cats my first real burn season wit em and I'm having fun.I got that BK with 6 splits to 700 without even trying lots of flame and heat.I'm gonna run the urine outa mine if need be. Burned from 2am last night to 3pm today with 6 oak splits house went to 75 and at 3pm was still 70 plenty of red hot coals in powdery ash,threw 4 humomgous cherry splits in it and she's goin great.I'm gonna test the limits and see how I feel at seasons end. So far the best thing I like is no blast of heat that runs you off,just a subtle envelopment of dense heat that permeates everything.

Load it up, burn it in, turn down to 1 and get 30+ hours out of it instead of only 13 hours! I'm still getting nearly 24 out of the little lady with this weather. Is there a reason you're not loading it full?

rdust said:
ohlongarm said:
Gotta love those cats my first real burn season wit em and I'm having fun.I got that BK with 6 splits to 700 without even trying lots of flame and heat.I'm gonna run the urine outa mine if need be. Burned from 2am last night to 3pm today with 6 oak splits house went to 75 and at 3pm was still 70 plenty of red hot coals in powdery ash,threw 4 humomgous cherry splits in it and she's goin great.I'm gonna test the limits and see how I feel at seasons end. So far the best thing I like is no blast of heat that runs you off,just a subtle envelopment of dense heat that permeates everything.

Load it up, burn it in, turn down to 1 and get 30+ hours out of it instead of only 13 hours! I'm still getting nearly 24 out of the little lady with this weather. Is there a reason you're not loading it full?

He's probably like me. When I'm home I like to play with it..lol.
24 hour burn is to boring when I'm home all day! lol
Used to be I would run her way up just to shove her back down to watch the light show..I have grown up some since then. lol...but not much.
It is interesting to try new ways of burning with this stove.

This might freak people out.
Been this way for 25 years.
Walk in closet upstairs.
There is 3 to 4 inches of clearance to clothes...the sticker says I need two.

Attachments

• wood 015.jpg
    wood 015.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 213
HotCoals said:
Walk in closet upstairs.

Yeah, I don't think that meets code! It's sure to freak people out, I know I wouldn't do it in my house but it seems to be working for you so far.

rdust said:
HotCoals said:
Walk in closet upstairs.

Yeah, I don't think that meets code!

It was passed that way 25 years ago!

New build then..wait the flue was put in the following year..but inspected.

rdust said:
HotCoals said:
Walk in closet upstairs.

Yeah, I don't think that meets code! It's sure to freak people out, I know I wouldn't do it in my house but it seems to be working for you so far.

Actually I push the clothes a lot farther away ..I just did that for the pic.
But they have been that close before at times..then I'll throw some away!
I have never seen a time when I could not leave my hand on the pipe for a long period.

HotCoals said:

Don't quote me but I think any chimney that runs through the living spaces has to be boxed in.

rdust said:
ohlongarm said:

Just curious, how many splits is that load and whats your stove temp for that 30hrs on 1? Does the thermostat fluctuate automatically based off outside temps day vs night or does stove top just get hotter during the day with the sun up?

rdust said:
HotCoals said:

Don't quote me but I think any chimney that runs through the living spaces has to be boxed in.
It probably does..but the wife likes it this way.
I was thinking about boxing it and put a few vents in it..one top and one bottom?

Osburning said:
rdust said:
ohlongarm said:

Just curious, how many splits is that load and whats your stove temp for that 30hrs on 1? Does the thermostat fluctuate automatically based off outside temps day vs night or does stove top just get hotter during the day with the sun up?

For me my stove top temps might pick up at night when it's colder out..better draft I guess with the t-stat below one so it doesn't open.

If you want the t-stat to open when the stove cools some it has to set right where the flap closes ..it's a fairly critical adjustment.
But will work..I just don't find the need to use it much.
You can put like up to 80lbs of wood in theses things.
Maybe 12-15 med splits..not sure..don't usually count..lol.

I just can't figure out if the t-stat is effected more by the stove temp or the air coming into the box where the t-stat is..I'm thinking stove temp.

BTW..you can set these stoves up to cruise at diff temps..depends on the t-stat setting...most I talk to say 2 or below.
If I'm using it ..its right around 1.5 usually.
Below one and I don't think it would ever open..maybe.
That's why I mostly have it below one.
It takes some real cold weather for me to have it at 1.5 to 2 so that it does work.

Never really load mine up as I should according to seasoned BK burners,hasn't been that cold yet just monkeying around to see how much I can get out of so little.The time will soon come when she gets loaded heavy.Mine sems to burn best at 2 don't really know if she's burn that well on a lower setting when it's this warm,low 30's,I'll give it a try though.I'm running minimum requirement chimney height required by BK don't know if that effects the burn that much.

ohlongarm said:
Never really load mine up as I should according to seasoned BK burners,hasn't been that cold yet just monkeying around to see how much I can get out of so little.The time will soon come when she gets loaded heavy.Mine sems to burn best at 2 don't really know if she's burn that well on a lower setting when it's this warm,low 30's,I'll give it a try though.I'm running minimum requirement chimney height required by BK don't know if that effects the burn that much.
Try it way below one..it won't open and your burn will be fine probably..that's because there is a hole drilled into the flapper.
You can move the t-stat kinda fast back and forth to hear where it's closing at the stove temp you have...correlation.

The t-stat is the chit. It's got to be the reason for the long even insanly long burns. I can't wait to see the new BK stove at 1.8 cu ft. Perfect size for my small home. It still baffles me why more manufactures don't go with a t-stat, even non cats should benefit from it IMO.

Todd said:
The t-stat is the chit. It's got to be the reason for the long even insanly long burns. I can't wait to see the new BK stove at 1.8 cu ft. Perfect size for my small home. It still baffles me why more manufactures don't go with a t-stat, even non cats should benefit from it IMO.
I'm telling you for a fact that during the longest burn times I have had..the t-stat does not open at all..I know it for a fact.
Now if it's really cold out i will adjust it so it ill open some now and then..yes it works.
That said you can adjust it so it will during the warmer weather also but I find it does cut back on the burn times of course...but not a lot unless set high.
My house just gets to warm with it doing that..for sure 32 temps and above.
So I usually set it way below one so it's not a factor in warmer temps.
Maybe that's just me.

Todd said:

Hey todd, I have the chinook in a 792sq/ft tight house... and I haven't once been roasted out by the stove, with the stove on low when it's 55 out it keeps it about 74 indoors. I've got 16' of chimney straight up and it has no problem drafting in the warm temps with a cool chimney during the burn. I don't see any reason for needing a smaller stove, unless you like to reload it more often! :)
Chinook's BTU on low is about 5k, the same amount a 1500W space heater creates.

Osburning said:

Mine don't/won't burn 30 hours, I have a princess which is a 2.8 advertised firebox, the King is 4.3 advertised with 40 hour burn times on low burn. I've gotten about 26 hours between reloads(enough coals to light up without kindling) but that's with no usable heat at the end(stove top probably less than 200). When I load it and turn it down low it'll hold a stove top in the low-mid 300's after it settles in. I'm not sure how long it'll hold 300 but it's a good long time(I'll time it sometime if you're interested) near the end you can pull all the coals into the middle of the stove, turn it up and get the stove top back into the 400-500 range while you're burning the coals down to make room for more wood. Obviously a 300* stove top won't heat my house in the cold weather but mid 30's at night with daytime temps in the 40's it does a great job keeping it in the low 70's. I'm burning a lot of smaller/medium splits right now and can usually fit 10-12 in the stove.

The thermostat flapper is always closed on low burn for mine, when the stove is cold right around 1 you'll hear the flapper close. As the stove is warmed the flapper will close at a higher number. For example if that happens around 2 and I set it right below that point it will open back up to allow more air in as the stove cools, if I go to 1 it'll close and burn low-mid 300* stove top. I'd guess all the stoves react a little differently, I'd think they'll be similar to each other though.

rdust said:
Osburning said:

Mine don't/won't burn 30 hours, I have a princess which is a 2.8 advertised firebox, the King is 4.3 advertised with 40 hour burn times on low burn. I've gotten about 26 hours between reloads(enough coals to light up without kindling) but that's with no usable heat at the end(stove top probably less than 200). When I load it and turn it down low it'll hold a stove top in the low-mid 300's after it settles in. I'm not sure how long it'll hold 300 but it's a good long time(I'll time it sometime if you're interested) near the end you can pull all the coals into the middle of the stove, turn it up and get the stove top back into the 400-500 range while you're burning the coals down to make room for more wood. Obviously a 300* stove top won't heat my house in the cold weather but mid 30's at night with daytime temps in the 40's it does a great job keeping it in the low 70's. I'm burning a lot of smaller/medium splits right now and can usually fit 10-12 in the stove.

The thermostat flapper is always closed on low burn for mine, when the stove is cold right around 1 you'll hear the flapper close. As the stove is warmed the flapper will close at a higher number. For example if that happens around 2 and I set it right below that point it will open back up to allow more air in as the stove cools, if I go to 1 it'll close and burn low-mid 300* stove top. I'd guess all the stoves react a little differently, I'd think they'll be similar to each other though.

Sounds right to me. cheers!
It's so strange to me how this stove is because the old one looked just like it..door did drop down on the old one though.
Anyway..it is a totally diff beast.

Hass said:
Todd said:

Hey todd, I have the chinook in a 792sq/ft tight house... and I haven't once been roasted out by the stove, with the stove on low when it's 55 out it keeps it about 74 indoors. I've got 16' of chimney straight up and it has no problem drafting in the warm temps with a cool chimney during the burn. I don't see any reason for needing a smaller stove, unless you like to reload it more often! :)
Chinook's BTU on low is about 5k, the same amount a 1500W space heater creates.
I thought that Chinook would do a great job in the shoulder.
Can't wait till cold weather to see how she works cranked up a bit!
I can only think that the Chinook will be perfect for your size house.

If your wood is dry, load those fireboxes up and run em low. Turn the tstat all the way down during the day if you want and turn it back up after the sun goes down. No reason to be loading more than once a day right now. If you are burning the good stuff, you should be able to do 36 hour cycles pretty consistently in the mild temps.

SolarAndWood said:
If your wood is dry, load those fireboxes up and run em low. Turn the tstat all the way down during the day if you want and turn it back up after the sun goes down. No reason to be loading more than once a day right now. If you are burning the good stuff, you should be able to do 36 hour cycles pretty consistently in the mild temps.

Exactly! If I could have figured out a way to run an 8" chimney without breaking the bank I would be loving those long burn times right now. I'm still plenty happy with the Princess burn times right now though. Even when the temps dip into the 20's for the daytime highs twice a day loads will work, colder than that we will have to see how it goes.

SolarAndWood said:

But..but..you don't understand..we have to play around on days off..all in the name of science of course..lol.

Do as you will...

HotCoals said:
SolarAndWood said:

But..but..you don't understand..we have to play around on days off..all in the name of science of course..lol.

Lol, I still load it full up on my days off... I just burn it hotter to reload more often ;)
I can't wait to use real hardwood instead of the softwood garbage I've been using. It's gettin' pretty cold out now too! Was in the 20s all yesterday, and supposed to be a high of 29 today!

It's a shame we'll never get to experience what it's like burning Hedge up here

Status
Not open for further replies.