small inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwburn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Connecticut
my brother is considering an insert although his fireplace is not that large (i do not have dimensions).

can anyone give me a couple suggestions for inserts that require a pretty small footprint inside the fireplace?
if anyone knows of any i can have him start with those.

thanks

Lopi Answer/Revere, Osburn 1600/1800i, Hearthstone Morgan, PE Vista, Country Stoves (Model?),

Dimensions are key here. One of the prime reasons for my stove choice was a height limit. Not too many with Height's as low as the Osburn. Another option would be a Hearthstone Homestead Hearth mount. Need to be sure the clearances are kept in check with any stove, do don't just measure the size of the hole he's trying to fill.

I forgot about that one Mike... That is one of the nicest looking inserts on the market today.

Quadra-fire 2700i

KW Burn, can you ask for dimensions? Otherwise this is just speculation and he may waste a lot of time.

A couple more to add to the other good suggestions:

Englander 13-NCI,

Jotul C350 Winterport

"KW Burn, can you ask for dimensions? Otherwise this is just speculation and he may waste a lot of time."

yeah, i understand. i wasn't looking to put anyone out but you know how some people off the top of their head can usually shoot out a couple ideas to look at so thats why i asked. i did email him to measure and let me know and if i get the dimensions i'll post them.

i probably also should have added that they are on a tight budget, so something like a winterport which i also agree is a true beauty, is also probably out of their price range.

No problem. That's why I suggested the other end as well. If it can fit, the Englander could be a nice deal. Also, Country makes some nice small, affordable inserts. I'm not sure about their pricing now that Lennox owns them, but the C160 Striker fits in a lot of small fireplaces.

Stay away from VC Dutchwest!!

T

Tendencies said:

T

May I ask why someone should stay away from VC Dutchwest?

George

GeeWizMan said:
Tendencies said:

T

George

About 6 months Back Wxman and Tendency had Dutchwest inserts that after a few months a structual weld broke and the main stove sagged and rested on the hearth

VC of its dealer replaced Tendencies unit witha new one.

WXman also got his removed and full credit had a Pacific Energy insert installed to replace the defective unit Both his dealer and nDistributor were proactive in working
out the final solution.

Mean while the removed stove was sent back to VC to be examined and hopefully corrections made. May be Jack the distributor can fill us in what happened after it was returned

IT appeared that too much weight relied on a few tack welds that additional support feet spacers needed to be added or fully weld seam replacing tack welding

elkimmeg said:
GeeWizMan said:
Tendencies said:

T

George

About 6 months Back Wxman and Tendency had Dutchwest inserts that after a few months a structual weld broke and the main stove sagged and rested on the hearth

VC of its dealer replaced Tendencies unit witha new one.

WXman also got his removed and full credit had a Pacific Energy insert installed to replace the defective unit Both his dealer and nDistributor were proactive in working
out the final solution.

Mean while the removed stove was sent back to VC to be examined and hopefully corrections made. May be Jack the distributor can fill us in what happened after it was returned

IT appeared that too much weight relied on a few tack welds that additional support feet spacers needed to be added or fully weld seam replacing tack welding

Thanks for the information. I have a VC Dutchwest that is about 2 years old, do I need to worry?

George

Is there more than one type of Dutchwest insert over the last couple years? I see the DW2500X01 listed on VC's website is non-cat but GeeWizMan's signature says he has a cat version. Also, is the insert sold under the Century name the same stove as the DW2500X01?

kwburn said:
Is there more than one type of Dutchwest insert over the last couple years? I see the DW2500X01 listed on VC's website is non-cat but GeeWizMan's signature says he has a cat version. Also, is the insert sold under the Century name the same stove as the DW2500X01?

Kwburn you are correct the DW25000 idis the same stove whether a dutchwest or century the only difference the dutch west comes with a castiron door the century witha steel door

GeeWizMan,

It its an insert I'd inspect it. No problems with the freestanders that I've heard of. If you have the dw2500 insert do a search on the stove and you will see pictures of the 2 failures and where to inspect your stove.

wow, i dug up the old threads about the failed welds. that was a lot to read but certainly interesting!
i'd love to know if anything has changed with the design on those stoves to make that not happen again in the future?

also, wxman i read a lot of the saga but somehow didn't see how you got from your dutchwest to the pe pacific? did they even swap it or did you have to just pay the difference or something? aside from the weld debacle, how would you compare the performance of the two stoves? just curious.

KWburn Wxman will tell you that I e-mailed his distributor and advised him th react and get this situation resolved
I also got on the phone to Vc /Cfm and told them a whole lot of bad pr was comming their way My contaCTS ARE AT THE VERMONT OPPERATIONS
but the people there relayed the message to the corperate offices of CFM. Based upon personal knowledge, I know for a fact VC monitors this web site and forum the distributor of this stove of Wxman is a forum menber who I also contacted an pushed for resolution I know for a fact the head of Vc engineering has posted here addressing issues. I also know they setup a consumer hot line that people can contact up to level two techs to answer their questions I have personally wittinessed the craftsmanship they take in stove construction Everbody here will tell you what a PITA I CAN BE ABOUT QUALITY I am not easilly impressed. I can tell you I saw the best effort in quality control I have ever wittnessed while doing the plant tour. Compliments do nof flow freely from my lips that's, how good it is Don't believe me maybe you should view the video of the plant tour and decide for youresel.f I will probably get banned for promoting VC and made in america
where quality is really job one. Remember the major gold sponsor and major competitior pays a lot to the web for sponsoring this site, Jotul, plus being buddies budies with him

A few months back web banned me for supporting american manufacturing , which created American manufacturing jobs. He will not be happy I expounded the competition sponser to his I further urged CFM/VC to be a gold sponser to this site to web, handed to him on a gold plattrer. He refused told me he had enough gold sponsors and was not interested. Since then numereous gold sponsers have been added. You fil it in inbetween the lines. He has gone out of his way to bring up issues that happened decades ago to bash VC when shown things have changed . New ownershipop is in place, he continued the baseless bashing. He they calls me out for loyality and Support of American manufacturing. I'm telling you this so you can decide. He would rather have you purchase from companies that import material in the sweet shops of the pacific basin. Either I will be banned again or this responce will get deleted.. All I told you is from what I personally experienced and was told. I stand my my statement as factual and from personal experience. You may believe as you may,, I am not being paid by any manufacturer for support .Iam as nuetral as it gets an Inspector

Regency make a "Hearth Heater" insert. I believe its a mid sized. Depending on the fireplace measurements, it might work well for you. And it protrudes out onto the hearth more than others, in theory getting more heat out into the room instead of being trapped behind the surround in the firebox of the old fireplace. I was looking at it when I was looking for an insert. But I wanted a large size. If they made one in a larger size, I might have went with it.

had no intention of opening a can of worms with my last post...

Mike Wilson said:
Warren said:
I forgot about that one Mike... That is one of the nicest looking inserts on the market today.

Yep, next to the Kennebec, she's the most beautiful one out there ! :coolsmile:

-- Mike

No, I'd have to disagree...next to MY Jotul C450 Kennebec, she's the most beautiful out there......LOL.....

elkimmeg said:
KWburn Wxman will tell you that I e-mailed his distributor and advised him th react and get this situation resolved
I also got on the phone to Vc /Cfm and told them a whole lot of bad pr was comming their way My contaCTS ARE AT THE VERMONT OPPERATIONS
but the people there relayed the message to the corperate offices of CFM. Based upon personal knowledge, I know for a fact VC monitors this web site and forum the distributor of this stove of Wxman is a forum menber who I also contacted an pushed for resolution I know for a fact the head of Vc engineering has posted here addressing issues. I also know they setup a consumer hot line that people can contact up to level two techs to answer their questions I have personally wittinessed the craftsmanship they take in stove construction Everbody here will tell you what a PITA I CAN BE ABOUT QUALITY I am not easilly impressed. I can tell you I saw the best effort in quality control I have ever wittnessed while doing the plant tour. Compliments do nof flow freely from my lips that's, how good it is Don't believe me maybe you should view the video of the plant tour and decide for youresel.f I will probably get banned for promoting VC and made in america
where quality is really job one. Remember the major gold sponsor and major competitior pays a lot to the web for sponsoring this site, Jotul, plus being buddies budies with him

A few months back web banned me for supporting american manufacturing , which created American manufacturing jobs. He will not be happy I expounded the competition sponser to his I further urged CFM/VC to be a gold sponser to this site to web, handed to him on a gold plattrer. He refused told me he had enough gold sponsors and was not interested. Since then numereous gold sponsers have been added. You fil it in inbetween the lines. He has gone out of his way to bring up issues that happened decades ago to bash VC when shown things have changed . New ownershipop is in place, he continued the baseless bashing. He they calls me out for loyality and Support of American manufacturing. I'm telling you this so you can decide. He would rather have you purchase from companies that import material in the sweet shops of the pacific basin. Either I will be banned again or this responce will get deleted.. All I told you is from what I personally experienced and was told. I stand my my statement as factual and from personal experience. You may believe as you may,, I am not being paid by any manufacturer for support .Iam as nuetral as it gets an Inspector

Amen Elk!!!

wxman said:
GeeWizMan,

It its an insert I'd inspect it. No problems with the freestanders that I've heard of. If you have the dw2500 insert do a search on the stove and you will see pictures of the 2 failures and where to inspect your stove.

Thanks Wxman, I have a free standing Vermont Castings wood burning stove with a catalytic converter. We love the stove. I am sorry you had such a bad experience with one. I hope everything was resolved to your satisfaction.

George

castiron said:
Mike Wilson said:
Warren said:

Yep, next to the Kennebec, she's the most beautiful one out there ! :coolsmile:

-- Mike

No, I'd have to disagree...next to MY Jotul C450 Kennebec, she's the most beautiful out there......LOL.....

Nice! :lol:

-- Mike

PS, is a photo of yours uploaded here?

Status
Not open for further replies.