Smoke leakage, and other questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
From reading the code there are ways to install the wood framing closer but it would require some type of metal flashing
Just on the corners for trim and as firestops.

Reactions: MR. GLO
20220130_220814.jpg

This is as hot as the masonry gets after hours (all day today and all day yesterday) of burning. That's not even 90 F, and it's right above where the elbow goes in.

I just fail to see how that would matter for any of the wood that might be near it. My average summertime attic temperature is way higher than that.

View attachment 291182

This is as hot as the masonry gets after hours (all day today and all day yesterday) of burning. That's not even 90 F, and it's right above where the elbow goes in.

I just fail to see how that would matter for any of the wood that might be near it. My average summertime attic temperature is way higher than that.
What temperature is it during a chimney fire?

View attachment 291182

You are mistaken. This is the temperature of a wall actively being cooled by convection. What is the temperature of the wall that is bordering wood, that can't shed its heat?

Reactions: bholler

I agree with you, but just a couple thoughts, if your temps at the flue collar on the stove are 600 - 800deg f how much of that heat is being shed from the non insulated liner into the masonry? Is it enough heat that during the mid stages of the burn that your flue gases are condensing and forming creosote towards the top of the liner and cap area?
Are you certain that there are no cracks or missing pieces of mortar in the chimney's clay liner to allow one spot to be hotter then another?
Chimney fires can hit or exceed temps of 2100 deg f, thats compromises the liner, the insulation buys time for you to leave the structure and call the fire dept for help.

I agree with you, but just a couple thoughts, if your temps at the flue collar on the stove are 600 - 800deg f how much of that heat is being shed from the non insulated liner into the masonry? Is it enough heat that during the mid stages of the burn that your flue gases are condensing and forming creosote towards the top of the liner and cap area?
Are you certain that there are no cracks or missing pieces of mortar in the chimney's clay liner to allow one spot to be hotter then another?
Chimney fires can hit or exceed temps of 2100 deg f, thats compromises the liner, the insulation buys time for you to leave the structure and call the fire dept for help.

The clay liner was in good shape before the install. I dropped my (old) cell phone down on a string to inspect it. It was something they told me to look at, without saying how to.

Does it build creosote at the top? Maybe, some definitely forms on the cap if you burn too low. Isn't that why you clean it though? No buildup appears to be fairly unobtainable from the reading I've done.

20220128_134820.jpg

That's what everything that came off the last time I cleaned it looked like. It looks to me like 99% ash and soot, not creosote, but I'm not an expert.

That looks great.

Reactions: 2drx4