Smoke puff back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldoak

Jun 18, 2014
Roanoke, Va
After searching the site for a while, I had a specific question regarding my open masonry fireplace which we use about once a week. We have experienced smoke puffing out into the room during a hot fire and I suspect the problem could be the arch over the firebox. I’m using oak and walnut that has been cut and stacked for 16 months, so I wouldn’t think its excess water vapor from unseasoned wood making room smoky.
This summer, I had a brick mason rebuild the 3 walls of the firebox due to the age and deterioration. I swept the flue recently and it’s clean to where I can see the orange clay tiles. I have a standard SS flue cap from Lowes mounted on top. We lite a fire a few nights ago, and had some smoke puffing out to the point of seeing grey haze in the room. This happened after the fire had been going for about two hours. I opened the glass on the exterior storm door in the garage and the haze cleared out after a while. The damper was wide open and I had primed the flue with 3 rolled up newspapers like a torch prior to lighting fire. The fireplace is on the basement outside wall and our basement is in two sections. Half is family room where the fireplace is and the other half is one car garage with laundry room area. I usually have the door between the family room and garage slightly open thinking the drafty garage door would supplement the oxygen for the fireplace. We shut the door going upstairs and there are no furnace supply or return ducts in the basement. I have a fireback against the back wall of the firebox and use standard fire grate but with the front two legs propped up on a firebrick to prevent roll out.
To test this theory, I will remove the fireback and place the grate as close to back wall as possible. If problem still persists, I was going to get a piece of stainless steel and cover about 3-4 inches of the arch. I will temporarily mount the SS cover with two C clamps. If this prevented smoke puffing out I would buy a hood or make something more permanent.
Below dimensions of fireplace. What other factors could cause smoke puffing back that I've overlooked?
Chimney height 25’
Flue opening 7”x11”
Fireplace width 35”
Fireplace height – peak of arch is 28” and goes down to 21” on both sides
Backwall Width 28”
Firebox depth 20” – With the fireback I lose 4”
Firebox floor to damper height 36”
Damper Opening 6”x27”
Fireplace hearth and back wall all brick – 10’ wide and from concrete floor to bottom of floor joists.

Negative pressure. You got any forced venting going on? Clothes dryer, water heater, bathroom fan, furnace, etc.

Reactions: Owen1508
Yes this does sound like negative pressure. It could even be due to an open window, leaky attic doorway, etc. upstairs. And it could be compounded by a poor fireplace design or poorly placed chimney.

http://woodheat.org/how-chimneys-work.html

Negative pressure. You got any forced venting going on? Clothes dryer, water heater, bathroom fan, furnace, etc.

Clothes dryer, water heater, and furnace are located in basement garage but none of these items were running while the fire was burning. Furnance did not cut on that night till around midnight and the fire was down to coals by that time. When we build a fire it's for about 6 or 7 hours at a time that its burning. From searching the site I did read about negative pressure and try to use fireplace while listed items are off.

Yes this does sound like negative pressure. It could even be due to an open window, leaky attic doorway, etc. upstairs. And it could be compounded by a poor fireplace design or poorly placed chimney.

http://woodheat.org/how-chimneys-work.html

I'll look over the site you mentioned. I've always tried to close off the basement door from the upstairs but maybe I should leave it open. I would contribute to leaky windows upstairs but attic was just insulated to R49 with attic door being insulated also.
It's disappointing to be trying to enjoy the fireplace while watching a ballgame and get run out of room due to smoke coming in.

Do you have any basement window or outside air close to the fireplace that could be opened for a test? Keep in mind that wind direction can play a big role in the way a house "breathes". Does this happen during a predominantly windy day or with the wind coming from a specific direction?

Do you have any basement window or outside air close to the fireplace that could be opened for a test? Keep in mind that wind direction can play a big role in the way a house "breathes". Does this happen during a predominantly windy day or with the wind coming from a specific direction?

Yes, there is a window about 25' away from the fireplace. Will the window need to be cracked during the start or entire time fire is burning? Next time I have fire burning, I'll leave door going into garage closed and open nearest window. It was a windy day last time I had fire (unsure of wind direction) but fire had been burning several hours prior so I though there was enough draft to keep smoke going up. I'll also make sure that wind is relative calm next time and see if I have any smoke puffing in. Reading link that begreen provided about stack effect was interesting and could be contributing to my problem.

Yeah, troubleshooting this stuff can be a pain.
And yes, knowing that you were getting a backdraft after a couple of hours of burning, for the test I would try to open the window anytime you are getting a backdraft to see if that changes things.

You mention age and deterioration. Has the chimney interior been inspected professionally for cracks or flaws?

Regardless of cause please be sure to have smoke and CO detectors installed in this area.

You mention age and deterioration. Has the chimney interior been inspected professionally for cracks or flaws?

Regardless of cause please be sure to have smoke and CO detectors installed in this area.

Chimney hasn't been inspected professionally except for home inspector when house was purchased 3 years ago. House was built in 73 and there was no cap on flue. When I was putting damper back in after sweeping the flue I put my hand on back wall of firebox and was able to push it. I then found about 1" gap from the brick to the damper frame. I could put my hand between damper frame and brick and move wall and easily remove bricks. Brick mason that did repairs looked up in the damper area and did not mention anything.

I do have smoke detectors in basement and main living level of house but no CO detectors. I know I need since my furnace and water heater is natural gas.

Get some. Now. Please.
Best $20 you will ever spend. In Ontario, they just made it mandatory to have a CO detector in any home that has any device that burns (wood/oil/gas furnace) or even an attached garage. Our region has had the law for a few years now.

Best $20 you will ever spend. In Ontario, they just made it mandatory to have a CO detector in any home that has any device that burns (wood/oil/gas furnace) or even an attached garage. Our region has had the law for a few years now.

Definitely worth getting . . . I remember when the price was easily double the current price now. Big advocate of both smoke and CO detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.