Smoke smell in the house.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smittycj7

Sep 3, 2011
Western Pa
It's really windy here today and i am getting a smoke smell inside the house. I have a new 5500M with 3 burns on it this year. The stove does not have an OAK on it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Welcome.......

Have you sealed all of the joints in your venting?

What brand of vent do you have?

How much is inside your home? (i.e.- straight out the house or up 3-4 ft and then a 90* and out the house or straight up through the roof?) What is the set-up, piece by piece?

Check your PL vent for leaks, darken the room and shine a flashlight on the vent when you first ignite the pellet stove. If you see smoke, you need to consider sealing the leaks with high-temp RTV silicone. I had to go through this with my own PL vent, chased some leaks and eventually got them all using RTV silicone.

I have dura vent. It goes Up inside the house 3 ft then 90* out the wall. all joint have been sealed with high temp rtv and taped.

I think I may have figured something out. As I stated we were having high winds coming from the south west. The vent is located on the south wall of my home. I think it was kinda doing a back draft. I was getting a puff of smoke out of the intake where the OAK would be hooked up.

I have the stove back up and running now with out a issue. I increased the draft fan seed.

Thoughts?

Is the stove vented into the prevailing wind at your location?

Is the area around the vent where it exits the house sealed?

Are any windows within 4 feet of the vent completely sealed?

Is there a joint in the venting inside the thimble?

Can you see the smoke to find out where it is coming from?

Is the stove adapter fully sealed?

Are there any air movers running inside the house?

[quote author="SmokeyTheBear" date="1318735982"]
Is the stove vented into the prevailing wind at your location? yes today the wind is coming from the south west and the stove is vented on the south wall.

Is the area around the vent where it exits the house sealed? Yes it is.

Are any windows within 4 feet of the vent completely sealed? No the closest window is about 6ft away.

Is there a joint in the venting inside the thimble? Yes there is. It also has high temp RTV and tape.

Can you see the smoke to find out where it is coming from? This afternoon I saw smoke coming out of the intake this afternoon.

Is the stove adapter fully sealed? Yes as far as i can tell. I checked all the piping with the light off and a flash light and didn't see any smoke.

Are there any air movers running inside the house? nope.

ChrisWNY said:
Check your PL vent for leaks, darken the room and shine a flashlight on the vent when you first ignite the pellet stove. If you see smoke, you need to consider sealing the leaks with high-temp RTV silicone. I had to go through this with my own PL vent, chased some leaks and eventually got them all using RTV silicone.

Welcome back Chris... Getting ready to finally install my Endurance. Was gonna sell it over the summer after getting a woodstove for the basement. But having a back-up, for my back-up, for my back-up is pretty nice...

Sorry fof the sidetrack... Didnt want to state the easist answer (prevailing wind) because joints are an important part of every install.. Glad you figured it out.. An OAK would probably fix the problem you are having.. All depends on how sealed the OAK system is.

smittycj7 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Is the stove vented into the prevailing wind at your location? yes today the wind is coming from the south west and the stove is vented on the south wall.

Is the area around the vent where it exits the house sealed? Yes it is.

Are any windows within 4 feet of the vent completely sealed? No the closest window is about 6ft away.

Is there a joint in the venting inside the thimble? Yes there is. It also has high temp RTV and tape.

Can you see the smoke to find out where it is coming from? This afternoon I saw smoke coming out of the intake this afternoon.

Is the stove adapter fully sealed? Yes as far as i can tell. I checked all the piping with the light off and a flash light and didn't see any smoke.

Are there any air movers running inside the house? nope.

Since you have identified where the smoke is coming out and that a little tweaking of the intake air flow took care of the problem I'd seriously suggest that you OAK that device. The OAK on the same wall as the vent exit will remove the effect of the wind and will prevent any need to make further adjustments when the wind is even stronger or when you operate any exhaust fans inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.