1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcrc

wcrc New Member

Loc:
    Irvington KY
    Any help please ,,,I have a wood stove in my barn that we had just installed and everytime you open the door the room becomes smokey. the pipe size is 6" coming out the back of stove then a 90 going up approx 4' then a 90 and approx 2' to exit the wall and a 90 to go up the outer wall with a total of 10' of pipe with approx 4' past the roof top

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Welcome to the site.

What kind of a stove is this? If it's a modern stove with catalytic combustion or has secondary air tube at the top of the stove, they need the straightest chimney possible if it's not ~15 feet or more in length you could have problems, especially when 90's are involved.

The 90's are really killing you here as they reduce draft. It sounds like you have about 14 foot total rise? But with the 90's the stove is probably feeling only 1/2 the draw it should.

I don't know the details of your install, but you may be able to increase your draft some by changing out any 90 you can to 2, 45's instead. Also, you may find that you need to go higher outside if you still have an issue.

Additionally, what temps are you seeing outside. The warmer it is the less draft you'll have also. Until things get down to about 45 degrees or so it's really hard to tell what you are working with.

pen
  3. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

Most likely the combo of to short and too many 90's. I do not know how much but the 90's make for some restriction. The height needs to be like Pen said about 15 feet to provide good draft. The sideways trave of 2ft. figures in as restriction too.
  4. wcrc

wcrc New Member

Loc:
    Irvington KY
    thanks for the reply pen, im not sure what kinda stove it is was bought at a yard sale, being in a barn i can reinstall to as what is best, but thought id look into before making any other cuts. the stove is approx 22' w x 26' L x 24" H.. the temps here highs in 80's lows in 50's just doing a trial on stove, i have the height to go straight up inside.... from stove to roof is roughly 15'. not nowing thought it be easier to go out side wall guess ill try the 45's first then reinstall straight out the roof if doesnt work thanks for the info greatly appreciated

steve
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    With 3 - 90's in the smoke path, and a very short flue, plus mild temps, the stove is going to smoke. It has insufficient draft. Does the stove have a reversible flue collar so that it vents from the top of the stove? That would help. Post a picture of the setup and we may be able to help a bit more.
  6. wcrc

wcrc New Member

Loc:
    Irvington KY
    no there isnt any vents on top of stove basically all steel with vents in door that can open and close
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.