So, anyone light up yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke eater

Aug 25, 2010
hudson valley, ny
not me yet, but "they're" forecasting high 30's this thur n fri night. that means mid 30's up at my house- 1250' up that is. who will be the first? i don't light up until the wife and kids are begging for heat.

I'm lighting up as we speak...cigarette that is..I don't really light up until mid October. I have new heat pump that's pretty efficient. . In the mild weather anyways...but once I light up .....heat pump doesn't kick on

Many times in the last few weeks. Fire going right now, 52° outside. Anytime there is a cool night, I light a fire. That's the reason I have heat in my house, especially free heat, so I can be warm whenever I want to be!

Nope, 49 right now. Supposed to be upper 30's tonight then warm some. I did however start bringing the wood up by the house yesterday. Fall is in the air!

3 days straight the week before Labor Day in the ADKs, one dehumidification burn at home during the monsoon.

Lit up a quick low burn on Sunday morning at the cabin in VT. Woke up and it was 38 segrees outside and about 60 inside, wife was chilly.....happy wife happy life, so I threw a few cut-offs in and some scrounged dry crap I had from last year in the "shoulder season" pile.

Held it at about 400 degrees for a couple hours to take the edge off until the sun warmed things up.......

Not too far away.

Same things here.......
Burning some "scrap" stuff that I have laying around here.
Tonight will be our 2nd burn of the season - mid 30's forcasted.
More of an "ambiance" thing........

I'm hoping to make it to November...or at least late October. Seems like I was able to last year, but can't really remember.

When the sun gets low in the sky, I get pretty good solar gain on my large southern exposure and the house holds the heat pretty well. I don't mind a little morning chill.

We haven't even thought about it yet. We've had a few cool nights, but not enough for the inside to cool down to light-a-fire temps. It looks like this weekend might be different.

Not yet...heck I ran the A/C last night

I might tonight, it is suppose to be in the low 40's tonight and no sun today so no solar heating during the day. I brought in some cottonwood last night before the rain and I am itching to fire up the new/old DW and see how it compares to the old Defiant/Encore.

Got Wood said:

What a difference a couple hundred miles makes. I could have put ours back in the basement weeks ago.

Got Wood said:

Same here...it was 94* on the way home from work yesterday...and now the forecast high today will be lucky to hit 70*. Calling for low 40's tomorrow night.

Had a few cool days a little over a week ago so I lit up then. Got some cool weather coming up now and will light again. Wood is more economical to burn than fossil fuels so I see no reason to wait to see if the oil furnace will kick in. In the summer I use the a/c to stay cool so I guess you could say I like to stay in a comfort zone. I have a good excuse too... me!

smoke eater said:
not me yet, but "they're" forecasting high 30's this thur n fri night. that means mid 30's up at my house- 1250' up that is. who will be the first? i don't light up until the wife and kids are begging for heat.

smoke eater; we have had two fires already and with the temps going down in the mid 30's I'm sure we will have another.

zap

Could have lit up a couple of times, but supressed the urge until I pull and clean all the pipes and give the stove a good cleaning.

Friday or Saturday evening, maybe. Upper 30s, a sheet over the tomato plants.

"Already? It's still summer!"

"Just getting rid of some Irene debris, Dear ..."

Ran A/C last night but thursday/friday night it is supposed to dip in to the upper 30's ....think I'll just go with an extra blanket

These next few days looks like time for a few small evening fires just to boost the house temp up a bit so I don't get that morning chill in the house. We may hit record lows the next couple mornings, could dip down under 30.

I had a couple fires a week or so ago when it dropped a bit.
I left the doors open and put the screen on the FP to see how the draft did on the 7100.

worked great. I have tons of scraps so I will have a fire this weekend I am sure.

Its still new to me to build a fire in my house.

Farmers Almanac says frigid winter from Rockies through northern plains to western great lakes.

Temperatures just dropped a couple of hours ago. Wonderful to feel that fall air. Suppose to drop only to the low 40's for the next couple of mornings. We will see how it all pans out.

I've had 3 so far. The 1st Fire I had was the night I installed the stove (70 degrees and draft like a champ). The last 2 were not needed either. Just trying to figure/tinker with it before it gets really cold. Also, its in the basement. So I can open the windows downstairs and leave the basement door shut.

Still have not decided whether to have one tonight. But tomorrow and Fri night is a for sure thing. I am going to try and utilize the Wood heat as much as possible. To see how long I can hold off on lighting the pellet stove (heated the whole house for 3 seasons) and on the same note, to see how much I can reduce my Pellet consumption.

Have not used the LP furnace (56 year old Trane X90) in 3 years and really never intend to again. Its Primary function in life is the A/C. I check to make sure the furnace still lights and all is O.K. In the Spring and Fall (just in case of emergency or we leave town). Have 50% in the tank and its been 2 years this Nov since our last fill.

We will have as many Fires as needed to Keep Ferrel Gas out of our Life for forever. Looking forward to this heating season with the 30-NC. Gonna be "Nuclear" in our house this Winter.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.