So, anyone light up yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems plenty of folks have had fires already. We started discussing it today and we might have a short fire or two to take the chill or dampness out of the air. However, I have not yet brought any wood in. Expecting frost here so we may indeed be firing up the Fireview.

Not until October here unless we get some very unseasonably cold weather. Usually by mid-Oct I have lit a small fire. September and beginning of October though is simply extra blanket and sweater season.

With this new PE super 27 I have been lighting an early morning small burn, just for pleasure-really do not need the heat but I enjoy the process and watching the fire burn. I use the stove top to rise bread when I bake. The wood is what I gather on a Saturday morning, lasts at least a week,; I look for dry douglas fir poles that I can cut with a bow saw and also gather up twigs for kindling. I am saving my other wood for winter fuel. :lol:

I had a small fire this am. House was around 60 or so, so........little kindling, a couple real small splits and a couple hours later the house was a few degrees warmer.
We only hit about 55 today and forecast for mid 30's tonite. I have a fire when I'm cold, not when the calendar hits a certain date.
May have another tonite or in the am.....maybe both. :coolsmile: Wife closed all the windows last night too. House smelled a little like stale lint being burned, for a while.

On installation day.The 21st this month.

Cranked up a small fire after work to take the dampness out. Used a couple small shorts and the temp is up to 74. Thats all for tonight. The next couple of days and nights are supposed to be alot colder with some NW wind. Probably need a couple more small fires.

Not yet. Last year was my first full year burning. I challenged myself to heat my house 100% with wood and I did it. This year's challenge is to see how efficient I can be with my wood (or, in other words, what is the approximate minimum amount of wood I can use to heat the home). Last year I definitely burned a lot more than I needed to - especially in the fall - started large fires and got the house into the low 80's many times. I'm going to wait this year until the weather turns pretty cold and the house can't warm via solar during the day. At that point, I'll start burning and try smaller, less frequent fires. Just goofing around - I have a lot of wood, so if I'm feeling cold (or the wife is), I'm sure I'll cave and start a fire! Cheers!

when the weather is like this-30's overnight-i'll light a fire in the evening and the morning at the cottage./ if we aren't there, we'll tuff it out. my snowbird neighbors at the lake have fires all the time-even during the heat wave-mornings only, though.

86'f today; and hearing that some of you guys have gotten a burn or two in is making me reeeaaaaallll Jealous! ;-)

We fired up a small one Labor Day evening...it was in the low 50's with a wind. Did that for the next couple of days. Sounds like we may be going back to that soon here...lows in the 40's overnight. Bring it on!!

I'm still fighting the urge, next couple days are looking a little chilly but I think I'll make it through. If I get the BK installed this weekend I'll probably do a break in fire with the windows open. :lol:

Yep, about 45 minutes ago. Stove top approaching 500 degrees already but didn't put in enough fuel to go very long. That should be enough to handle the forecasted 37 tonight!

Had a fire every night over Labor day weekend at my cabin at 4000'. Frost every morning! None hear at home yet.....

All this talk makes me want to clean the stove & the pipe.....yeahhhh too busy to even look at the stove.... yet to clean the chimney! It is suppose to cool off in the next few days, this just might motivate me to service things.... I do like summer!

Snow is in the forecast from 9,000 ft and up. I live at 8500 so I will need the fire tonight. Other than that just a couple of light burns to take the chill off.

Just lit one up. Left the windows open two nights ago, was cool when we went to bed. 65 in the house right now. I work from home and my fingers are cold, so thought I'd warm up a bit! Small splits and a bunch of the little chips from running the splitter the other day.

K

I know I'm going to cook us out but there is going to be one tonight. Low of 38.

pen

Heavy frost on the back yard last night. 39 degrees outside last night. Started up the Hearthstone this morning and will run till noon. I'm glad to see cooler temps. in Mid Michigan.

I know when this front moves through today we are going get cooler for the weekend. Theres a possibility I may light up some shoulder fires if temps drop down low enough. I know the NH folks have a possibility of frost this weekend too.

It was 65 in the house this morning, which feels cool after the heat of summer, but I'll resist the urge to light-up for a while. I know it'll be getting old by March,!and the first fires will feel even better when its colder out.
I have the luxury of a hi-efficiency gas furnace if I need to take a morning chill off over the next couple weeks.

Last night it got into the 20's, as long as it is sunny outside during the day the sun should warm the house so I don't need to start it.
But, it is getting very close.

Supposed to warm up next week.

So hopefully I will not have to light it up until October, but another couple of nights like we had last night I may not make it.

Going into high 30s tonight, so we decided to fire it up. My back is to the stove as I write, feeling good.

Status
Not open for further replies.