So first year with the stove in the new house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
So its ALMOST the end of the season i hope and am pretty happy

i started with about 6 cords and as of now i have a hair under 2 i filled my 275 gallon tank at the start of the season and have about 1/4 tank left. from what the oil company told me the old owner went through 3 tanks 4 on COLd winters. so me maybe going through one tanks im happy

the money i have saved i am going to be putting in a small stove in the basement and adding some new insulation which will help me even more next year.

the way i look at it is i have saved a ton and why not put it into the house and save some more next year. :)

other then a few times the wife forgot to load the stove before going to work the house seemed to stay pretty warm(expect for the furtherst 2 bedrooms) but im gutting them this spring to update electric and then adding insulation so it will help a ton.

just wanted to thank everyone here so far for all the advise and all the reading i have been doing

Great to hear you had/are having a succesfull heating season. The BEST money you can spend is insulating. Enjoy and burn on.

Shawn

You're not the first person I've heard from, who says that they have burned a few cords already.............

Admittedly, I haven't burned 24/7 (circumstantial mostly), but I've only burned a cord. I burned 5 days of of seven, and had a two week vacation in January where we were not home at all, but still............

-Soupy1957

That's pretty darn good, soupy. I'm mostly a nights and weekends burner (although it was a tad more frequent this year with the new stove), and I will burn a cord by the end of next month. 5 out of 7 days and I probably would have, at the very least, doubled your consumption!!

Congrats mroverkill, It is my first season and it's been bumpy, I almost had a few breakdowns (I was never exposed to burning wood) but I have moved on and giving it my best shot. The heat is amazing and the $$$$$$ saved is great. Pat yourself on the back!!!

Well, that part about the heating season nearing the end might be true for some folks but certainly not around here. We never consider the heating season over until some time in May. We will burn a lot less wood from this point on but we usually burn a good amount of wood yet through March.

hey im just hoping its almost over lol im getting cvabin fever and want to start building my 20x25 garden if its not over its ok i have almost 2 cords left lol

Hi Mroverkill, we all start somewhere. It was my first season a three years ago, but there is a lot of good advice and after one season I got enough good advice to make my second season very productive. Good luck to you on next year - I think you will be surprised as to how much better everything is.

For myself, I find that my tolerances change throughout the winter.

In the fall the first bit of cool in the evenings has me chomping at the bit to light the stove. So for example a night that drops down to say 4-6 degrees above freezing has me running the stove pretty steady with morning and evening fires to get the house nice and toasty to the point where the window may need to be opened.

This continues until about now when daytime temps get to 34-36 F/ plus 1 or 2 C and then we find that we ease off a fair bit on the loading.

I think that alot of it is my body adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.