So I'm at the local stove dealer today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ in Chicagoland

Sep 3, 2009
Northern Illinois
...trying to decide between an Equinox or a Mansfield for my drafty 3400 sq ft, 2 story house, when I finally get down to "What's the best price you can do?". The sales guy lifts up the price card on top and points to the $3250 Mansfield price tag ($4100 for the Equinox), obviously not interested in "working" for my business. I then point to another card advertising $200 off Hearthstone stoves, sitting right on top of the stove. The sales guy calls over another guy who proceeds to crumple up the $200 off card and point to the fine print stating "Sale ends July 31"! Apparently they forgot to remove the card for over 2 months. So I'm standing there like, "WELL?" Tough luck for me. It felt like he was crumpling up $200 of my hard earned money. That's not right, how can I now buy from them... AT FULL RETAIL!! Ouch. This stove will be the first thing I have bought BRAND NEW in a long time, and some of these dealers act like they have you right where they want you, pointing to the MSRP like they could take you or leave you. Perhaps some more competition would do everyone some good.

Don't think you'll find many deals right now. Wrong time of year for deals and the tax credit has dealers feeling like they don't need to offer anything since the credit is the "sale".

We have one sale left. $250 off gas inserts. Running now through the end of the month. That is our smallest sale of the year usually. Pretty much full MSRP for now through at least January on all wood / pellet products. We get plenty of customers willing to pay full price, so why give out discounts?

Pathetic. Find another shop. If the sale ended two days ago they should help you out. If it ended two months ago and they still have the signage, they are lazy and incompetent and not worthy of your business.
It's not the $200, it's them basically saying to you "we couldn't care less" - which means if you ever have a problem with your purchase, they'll say the same thing then.
There may be no deals right now, but we are still in a recession, and there are still friendly, honest, helpful merchants who take care of their customers to the best of their ability. You just have to find them.

branchburner, I do agree with that also. I imagine if we had an old sign up, we would honor that sale for the customer who pointed it out.

Right, or at least apologize and offer to split the difference, or throw in a free accessory - anything but crumple it up in your face.
And I certainly understand this is not the time for discounts. Get your deals in March through August, I imagine. (But don't buy your Halloween candy on Nov 1 and Valentine's candy on Feb 15 if you want to keep your wife and kids happy.)

I agree with jip tis' the season to open billfold..... what is the right season to buy since next year with the tax credit still in effect and all???? I'm looking looking to buy in August. a local shop (not wood stove orientated) has a poster up that says, "Lack of planning on your part does not mean an emergency on mine" Nothing bad meant, but everyone is out looking for stoves the first time they see their own breath. Me included!

With the economy the way it is I can't say I blame them for not offering a deal this time of year. I would expect that most of the local dealers have about 5 months in my area to make enough to last the year. Should the sale tag been removed, yes, but they are probable under staffed and working on comp hours for the slow time.
Just my thoughts and opinions, I might not know all there is to stoves but I do know small business.

I wasn't expecting him to cut the price in half, but when every dealer in the area charges the same price and sees no need to budge, it just seems like a disconnect from the reality that every other business has to exist in. If I'm standing there ready to buy, throw me a bone. After they crumpled the sale card, I decided I needed to take some time to decide. By the way, Woodheatstoves.com just answered my email at 10:45 pm and according to their quote, obviously want my business. Finally, if my local dealer is so busy selling units like hotcakes, how has no other customer noticed the $200 off sign sitting front and center on that stove? I would argue they're not selling that many, and one less after today..

Prices at my local woodstove shop are outrageous. I thought it would be a good idea to start a relationship with them, but all I got out of it was paying a lot more than I should. Most recently, I needed to buy flashing kits for my chimneys. I called them first and they told me it was $130 each, but not in stock. So, I checked with my local hardware stores. They each had one in stock, and I paid $65 each - and seem much more appreciative of my business.

It's not collusion or price fixing, it is just the market. A retailer has to make the margin when they can, and now they can.

Different industries have different standards of MSRP markdowns. Stoves are not like jewelry or clothing or furniture, with huge markups that are always subject to huge discounts. My take is that stoves are not a high margin item. In sale season, everybody was 10% off. Now nobody is. I suppose they could all mark the stoves up another 10%, then have a standard ongoing discount of 10% and a sale discount of 20%. It's just the retail game.

Of course, there will always be online discounters that can undercut small shops. A good shop can be firm in price without being rude or arrogant about it. The idea is that for a few bucks more the small shop will reward your business with polite service and helpful advice and... well, not that shop.

Woodstock still has a sale on. For $4500 you can get two Keystones, one for each floor!

Try these guys , I e-mailed them and asked for a price for the Equinox and they replied $3500 shipped to my door.

discountstove.com

branchburner said:
Pathetic. Find another shop. If the sale ended two days ago they should help you out. If it ended two months ago and they still have the signage, they are lazy and incompetent and not worthy of your business.
It's not the $200, it's them basically saying to you "we couldn't care less" - which means if you ever have a problem with your purchase, they'll say the same thing then.
There may be no deals right now, but we are still in a recession, and there are still friendly, honest, helpful merchants who take care of their customers to the best of their ability. You just have to find them.

I agree.

Check craigs list or your local classified ads, you might find someone who needs the money.

I think much of this goes back to the manufacturer as well.

Just bought a Hearthstone Clydesdale in Blue/Black Porcelain finish and it was $3199. Hearthstone raised adding the porcelain finish from 200 to 400 for the 09 model!!
A 2008 Clydesdale Porcelain went for something like 2799.. The new improved 09 is 3199. Yikes.. I'm not blaming my local dealer for that one. When I bought the new stove they threw in the delivery $100 for free and gave me a stove thermometer and 2 tubes of high heat rtv which would have cost another $50.. So they would not budge on the stove price but did what they could to the tune of $150 worth of extra's.. This knowing I would be getting $800 back from Uncle Sam on the deal.. I'm OK with that..

My suggestion based on my experience is go for the extras like delivery and accessories.. Perhaps the dealers have more wiggle room in this regard ?

I try to support the local guys and I don't mind paying a fair price for anything, but firm MSRP will usually get me to keep walking. If my local guys aren't willing to at least be somewhat competitive, I've found the phone and internet typically save me enough money to be worth my time searching for a better deal. I saved about $1200+ on my most recent stove over what the local guy was willing to do for me. I put a few hours into looking and coordinating this better deal, but it was obviously worth my time.

If you're looking for off season deals, Jan. through July is typically a good time to work a better price.

Russ, something to remember.

Most stove manufactures turn to their dealers to support the product.
Any service issues you turn to your dealer, any install issues you turn to the dealer, any warentee issues turn towards your dealer. With that said do you trust this dealer enough to offer you service after the sale?

If you seem to be a waste of his time before the sale, do you think he is going to support you after the sale?

Are there other dealers in the area?

Have you checked the prices at: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm ?

I think I would be patient and explain that I will be buying a stove soon . . . and I have the cash to do so . . . as to who gets the sale . . . that depends on who is willing to negotiate at least a little bit in a good faith effort. As for me, I drove a little further away to save $200 or so . . . for me, it was partly about the principle . . . someone willing to at least offer a better deal.

The biggest issue here is that you should be buying the EQ for 3400 SF. Don't even consider the much smaller mansfield. The EQ looks better and gets the side door plus is actually rated to heat that huge home.

As far as dealers and prices, well, he made it clear what his price was and you can take it or leave it. He also gave you a taste of his attitude which was very telling. You don't need a local dealer, that's outdated info so look wide and far for a better deal and then decide if the whole package is better than just buying local.

you should have slaped him in the face with your wad of cash and walked out proudly.

I am fascinated with some of these dealer pricing stories. The oldest stove shop around here has always discounted off of list and put it right on signs on top of the stoves. Been doing that for forty years and still does it. No matter what time of year it is.

greythorn3 said:
you should have slaped him in the face with your wad of cash and walked out proudly.

:lol: :lol: :cheese: That is absolutely great. "I Demmand Satisfaction!"
Alas,where have all the good times gone?! :)

Deep Fryer said:
greythorn3 said:

:lol: :lol: :cheese: That is absolutely great. "I Demmand Satisfaction!"
Alas,where have all the good times gone?! :)

"Officer he pistol whipped me."

"What kind of weapon sir?"

"Thirty one hundred dollar bills. The bastard."

"Sir. Is business that good?"

Buy an Englander 30 they appreciate your business and are 1/3 the money.
several people here burn them and like them.
Had to stir the pot. the 30's are about $1,000 plus they qualify for the tax credit thing
granted it is a steel stove not stone, but...

BrotherBart said:
"Officer he pistol whipped me."

"What kind of weapon sir?"

"Thirty one hundred dollar bills. The bastard."

"Sir. Is business that good?"

:lol: Thats Gold!

Russ in Chicagoland said:
...trying to decide between an Equinox or a Mansfield for my drafty 3400 sq ft, 2 story house, when I finally get down to "What's the best price you can do?". The sales guy lifts up the price card on top and points to the $3250 Mansfield price tag ($4100 for the Equinox), obviously not interested in "working" for my business. I then point to another card advertising $200 off Hearthstone stoves, sitting right on top of the stove. The sales guy calls over another guy who proceeds to crumple up the $200 off card and point to the fine print stating "Sale ends July 31"! Apparently they forgot to remove the card for over 2 months. So I'm standing there like, "WELL?" Tough luck for me. It felt like he was crumpling up $200 of my hard earned money. That's not right, how can I now buy from them... AT FULL RETAIL!! Ouch. This stove will be the first thing I have bought BRAND NEW in a long time, and some of these dealers act like they have you right where they want you, pointing to the MSRP like they could take you or leave you. Perhaps some more competition would do everyone some good.

Step 1. Visit each of their competitors websites, click the Contact Us link and paste this thread into each of their emails.
Step 2. End the emails with "What's the best price you can do?".
Step 3. Repeat step 1 on their site.

I bet you get a good deal from at least one of them.

Russ in Chicagoland said:
I wasn't expecting him to cut the price in half, but when every dealer in the area charges the same price and sees no need to budge, it just seems like a disconnect from the reality that every other business has to exist in. If I'm standing there ready to buy, throw me a bone. After they crumpled the sale card, I decided I needed to take some time to decide. By the way, Woodheatstoves.com just answered my email at 10:45 pm and according to their quote, obviously want my business. Finally, if my local dealer is so busy selling units like hotcakes, how has no other customer noticed the $200 off sign sitting front and center on that stove? I would argue they're not selling that many, and one less after today..

Russ, PM me and I may be able to give you some help. I am not selling stoves and don't have relatives who do either- I promise. I have visited MANY stove shops in Chicago and might have some insight into who you could go to. Where in Chicago are you located?

Status
Not open for further replies.