So I'm playing with my pipe.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
.....trying to get the dent out of it. It's a new chunk of 8" Class A, 48" that's going to be a bear to clean when installed, but oh well. So I'm thinking, "what am I going to notice different,after this is installed?"
So, on a minimal flue, what benefit should/could I look for with the adition of 4' ?
BTW, I did get the dent out.

So I'm playing with my pipe..... So I'm thinking, "what am I going to notice different"

Switch hands and use "The Stranger" method. I've heard you'll notice a difference...

.....trying to get the dent out of it. It's a new chunk of 8" Class A, 48" that's going to be a bear to clean when installed, but oh well. So I'm thinking, "what am I going to notice different,after this is installed?"
So, on a minimal flue, what benefit should/could I look for with the adition of 4' ?
BTW, I did get the dent out.

I think with your stove the ability to burn lower would be the key thing I would be looking at.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Interested to see how this works out. Seems like draft is the only questionable variable in your situation. I'm sure you will see a difference. Hope 4' is enough.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Hoping 4' does the trick also. I'm not going to add anymore than this.
I should be able to get it installed Sunday, too much snow on the roof to mess with right now.

It's so dependent on your own situation, but in my situation here is what happened:

Inside the house, 2-3" rise, a 45° and a 90° elbow... through the wall, to the insulated T (90° turn), and up 15'... poked above the roof 4' (met codes for my low slop roof).

So basically... 15' of chimney with some restriction. With 6 month seasoned wood, it didn't draft really well.

Added another 3' section of pipe (and reinforced with a roof guy kit), so now at 18', and didn't notice a huge difference in burn characteristics. Stove would still downdraft when cold, was hard to get to take off, even with 1+ year seasoned wood.

This Fall I added another 3' to the chimney. So now at 21', with ~ 10' sticking above the roof. Now I get no down draft when the stove is cold, and I actually have to throttle back the stove and not run the damper wide open. When it's burning well, you can close the damper and hear the stove sucking in the air.

So... throw another 4' of stove pipe on there! You might be very surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.