1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Some Flush Hearth Extension Questions

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by velvetfoot, Feb 15, 2012.

1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I'm now going back to my original thinking and considering a Northstar zero clearance fireplace, http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/480_1081.pdf .

The install manual says the hearth pad needs a 2.18 R value, which its says (subject to check) is equal to 1" of micore, or .5" of "Armstrongâ„¢ Privacy Guard Plus". I'd like to have a flush hearth, like there is now (but which I doubt has the required R value). The floor the extension would abut is 3/4" wood.
    There would continue to be a subfloor.

My questions are:

1) What is Armstrongâ„¢ Privacy Guard Plus, and where does one get it?
    2) Can one tile right over the Micore? Wouldn't the material be strong enough without putting backer board on top, especially since no one will be walking on it.
    3) Can the joists be notched to make up for the thickness? Would 2x4s or plywood have to be sistered?

Thanks for any help.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not sure about the privacy plus product. It looks like a grid ceiling product. One can not tile right over Micore, It's too soft and fibrous. You will need a proper cement board substrate.
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    According to the local distributor, that product hasn't been made for 10 years. Oh well.