Someone please talk me back from the edge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LADYGO DIVA said:
Wet1 said:
This, or any one of these "I want a bigger stove" threads should be a sticky... Buyers regret regarding purchasing too small of a stove is way too common. I suspect part of this is due to the manufactures overrating their products and dealers failing to explain the virtues of properly sizing a stove.

Anyway, here's another vote for getting a bigger stove...
look @ the for sale forum & get seller to post a story about his oversized stove. i would but i tend to get rejected & or ignored.

Hmm, how would a blaze king look in your home, wendell?

You wouldn't have to worry about needing to upgrade in the future with that stove! :coolsmile:

Going from a Morso to a Blaze King? I think I just got whiplash! :)

Who knows where this will end up going. I do have a 6" flue so I guess the King is out.

northwinds said:
LADYGO DIVA said:
Wet1 said:
This, or any one of these "I want a bigger stove" threads should be a sticky... Buyers regret regarding purchasing too small of a stove is way too common. I suspect part of this is due to the manufactures overrating their products and dealers failing to explain the virtues of properly sizing a stove.

Anyway, here's another vote for getting a bigger stove...
look @ the for sale forum & get seller to post a story about his oversized stove. i would but i tend to get rejected & or ignored.

Hmm, how would a blaze king look in your home, wendell?

About the same as replacing the Audi in the driveway with a Buick. :)

I knew I would do this. I went from 2 stoves to choose from to now about 15 (and Quadrafires are on the list!). Trying to look at the data, it seems that stove manufacturers must about make up whatever they want to put down for their stats. :wow:

What are the stats that are legitimate and can be used to compare apples to apples?
For a non-cat, is there a minimum firebox size to give a real 8 hour burn (which to me means there are enough coals left to simply load the stove up and have it take off with no coaxing or kindling).

In my exuberance to find more heat and longer burn times, I want to make sure I don't forget that this stove is still in a not very big room that we used a lot and end up realizing my initial fear of making the room unusable.

I want to make sure I don't forget that this stove is still in a not very big room that we used a lot and end up realizing my initial fear of making the room unusable.
Maybe I read too fast - but what size is the room? You're trying to heat over 2000sqft- I been lurkin here for a while and usually people ask for room dimensions and floor plan - helps them give recommendations/narrow the field...
But given the thread topic they are still just trying to assimilate you into the hive - see addiction thread, scary :ahhh:

The stove is in a 20x12' room in the basement with an open staircase going up behind the stove. I'm not worried about the Fireview but if I decide to get crazy and go with a T6, Summit, 30-NC or a Blaze King, to get those big long burn times, I might regret it.

*hands on hips, shaking right index finger at Wendell's nose*

Wendell. what's the hard and fast rule about smaller fires in a bigger stove..... :question:

Come on over, it's fun to look for a replacement fan at Walmart on February %-P

wendell said:
The stove is in a 20x12' room in the basement with an open staircase going up behind the stove. I'm not worried about the Fireview but if I decide to get crazy and go with a T6, Summit, 30-NC or a Blaze King, to get those big long burn times, I might regret it.

My situation is similar to yours, I have about the same sized house, stove room and basement install. I had a small Regency installed first and there were times when it was too hot to be in that room, but with the larger soapstone I can sit 7' away for hours on end cruising hearth.com and be fine. The Blaze King may be fine because you can really turn it down to a low even burn, but the others may blast you out unless you load less wood and then your back to shorter burn times. I'd keep looking at the soaps.

wendell said:

I wouldn't go to the opposite extreme unless you are really convinced that you can use the extra heat. If you found that on nights in the teens it was a tad chilly throughout the house, this would be an indication. But if the Morso kept up, albeit with a lot more frequent fillings, then a 2 cu ft stove could work well, especially considering you'll have the Morso upstairs for backup. If so, consider getting a T5 instead. It will look good on that hearth and won't blow you out of the room. The Alderleas are convective heaters and comfortable even a few feet away from the stove. But seems like the Fireview would also fit the bill here if that's the preference.

But, you have a T6 and I was hoping to be like you when I grow up! :lol: ;-)

The Morso did keep up with temps around 20+ until the fire went out but I'm sure my wife would've appreciated a few more degrees I like the house around 68). I guess what I need to figure out is if I want to go 2 cf and plan on using the Morso on colder days or go big and see if it can do the job by itself. I suppose that is an unanswerable question until you try it.

wendell said:
I knew I would do this. I went from 2 stoves to choose from to now about 15 (and Quadrafires are on the list!). Trying to look at the data, it seems that stove manufacturers must about make up whatever they want to put down for their stats. :wow:

What are the stats that are legitimate and can be used to compare apples to apples?
For a non-cat, is there a minimum firebox size to give a real 8 hour burn (which to me means there are enough coals left to simply load the stove up and have it take off with no coaxing or kindling).

In my exuberance to find more heat and longer burn times, I want to make sure I don't forget that this stove is still in a not very big room that we used a lot and end up realizing my initial fear of making the room unusable.

Did you see the Blaze King in the for sale section? JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a King but I have a 6" flue.

wendell said:

Simple, 8" to 6" adapter, problem solved.

Did they have a BK Princess? 6" there I think.

Hogwildz said:
wendell said:

I thought the 3rd Rule in the hearth.com Membership Rulebook stated, "Though shalt only connect your stove to a flue pipe of equal diameter."

wendell said:
Hogwildz said:
wendell said:

I thought the 3rd Rule in the hearth.com Membership Rulebook stated, "Though shalt only connect your stove to a flue pipe of equal diameter."

Hogwash, no pun intended.
Some fellow members have even downsized from 6" to 5.5" due to slim chimney sizes. I believe BB was one that did this.
As long as you have a decent draft, that is what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.