Someone Stole my PELLETS....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wldraven1965

Aug 22, 2010
Far Far Away Land
Went away last weekend... My neice put her harley in my Shed while we were away. Someone broke into the shed, took the Harley, my two tons of Pellets and my Lawn mower..... The Harley and Lawn mower found last night..... BUT MY PELLETS ARE GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May they choke up the thieves stove!!!!!!

wldraven1965 Sorry to read of your misfortune. Sounds like they must have had a coupe of vehicles or trailers to carry off the Harley and two tons of pellets. Not to mention the time to load all the pellets. I sure hope they catch them. I say burn them at the stake "maybe we could use wood pellets"!

Glad you got the Harley and lawnmower back.

If only they had returned the pellets and burned the Harley...

Maybe I'm just naive, but wouldn't it make sense that whoever stole the harley and mower would have a lead on the pellets or maybe have stolen them, too?

that screams inside job. did you leave an address with the place you bought the pellets from? had the bike or mower serviced recently?

briansol said:
that screams inside job.......

I was thinking the same thing:

"My neice put her harley in my Shed while we were away"

Who was with her while she was doing that? Maybe one of her "friends" who was helping her saw what was there, and knew it wasn't too hard to get into the shed, AND realized that no one was home and decided to pay a late night visit later on.

If it were me, I'd be asking the niece some questions......

Thats awful! So sorry to hear this.

I also think it sounds like an inside job. It takes time (and a trailer) to move out 2 ton of pellets in addition
to the bike and lawnmower. IMO someone knew nobody would be home for a while.

Did anyone in the family announce it on their f@cebook page that you would be going away?
Not saying this happened to you, but some people don't realize this can be an invitation for thieves.

It happened to someone we know just last month. Their son wrote on his wall that they were going to the races
in NH for the weekend. Their house was broken into while they were gone. The thugs were finally caught and
ended up being a friend of a friend that saw his post on FB and took advantage. The son didn't even know the kid.

There is always someone waiting to take advantage of someone else...grrr >:-(

I agree "sounds like an inside job". I dont think A thief would just come to a random house and take a bike and look and say they have pellets lets take them to. ( a lot of people dont even know what they look like. I had my neighbor say to me " man you got a lot of mulch. I hope they find it.

^ my neighbor did the same thing to me this morning. "Why are you loading mulch in your living room" lol

Ouch! Around here 2 tons of pellets would be worth more than the Harley!

Very sorry for the misfortune! That must hurt. Consider watching the local ads for pellets going cheap.

From a Police perspecitve, this definetely does not sound like a crime of opertunity, more a crime with knowledge.
I'd check very closely as to who knew you were away as others have said.

WLD - Are you near the water - on the East side of the state? My parents live down there and there are certainly some areas that have had issues over the last few years. Most of the time, it ends up being related to drug issues.

It takes some real cajones to rob someone's place down in Southern DE. I live up near the Northern end of the state, it's very different up here - much less guns. Down in the Southern end, you really have to know what's going on (vacation homes, out of town) or you are tempting fate.

magsf11 said:
I agree "sounds like an inside job". I dont think A thief would just come to a random house and take a bike and look and say they have pellets lets take them to.

Yeah, doesn't that just say it all like they knew what was there and what they were after. They had to be prepared to haul all that away.
Hope they find out who did this.

imacman said:
Hitch said:
....it's very different up here - much less guns....

And what does that statement have to do with the OP's problem???

Nothing more than an agreement that this person(s) knew they weren't home, or was too desperate from drugs to care. Up here, there HAS to be less concern that the homeowner has guns(s) and will protect their family and property. It's a small state, but there are differences. My parents have their place in that area, so I pay attention to the crime down there.

Don't try to turn that statement into something it wasn't......

The harley and lawn mower were found in a vacant house at the end of my road... It looks like homeless people were camping out in the house.
Some people working at a local gas station said some hippy looking men were selling pellets for 3 dollars a bag on the side street by the station. They apparently left and came back several times... I do remember an old blue chevy van stopping at the front of my lawn and older guys got out asking for work. My nephew was checking the oil in my car and hollered out that my car was ready for the trip. Well, I am out of pellets for know. My brothers were busy today reinforcing my shed. I looks like a fort. I bought a metal cabinet today and placed it inside of my house. It will hold 10 bags of pellets easy. the new supply of pellets will go in the garage. If they can bypass my security system, then they can have the pellets. A local farmer is selling a ton for 220.00.. gonna get a sample to test Monday morning....
I am peeved off, but, I will get over it. Apparently they needed the money more than I needed the pellets... Heck, I was more upset when I flew to England for a holiday and my Samsonite luggage went to somewhere in India.

wldraven1965 said:
The harley and lawn mower were found in a vacant house at the end of my road... It looks like homeless people were camping out in the house.
Some people working at a local gas station said some hippy looking men were selling pellets for 3 dollars a bag on the side street by the station. They apparently left and came back several times... I do remember an old blue chevy van stopping at the front of my lawn and older guys got out asking for work. My nephew was checking the oil in my car and hollered out that my car was ready for the trip. Well, I am out of pellets for know. My brothers were busy today reinforcing my shed. I looks like a fort. I bought a metal cabinet today and placed it inside of my house. It will hold 10 bags of pellets easy. the new supply of pellets will go in the garage. If they can bypass my security system, then they can have the pellets. A local farmer is selling a ton for 220.00.. gonna get a sample to test Monday morning....
I am peeved off, but, I will get over it. Apparently they needed the money more than I needed the pellets... Heck, I was more upset when I flew to England for a holiday and my Samsonite luggage went to somewhere in India.

lol- yea, my luggage travels more than I do

Status
Not open for further replies.