Splitting by hand VS. Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

freddy

Jan 23, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I have had a Huskee 22 ton splitter for 2 years now and it works great but I swear splitting by hand is quicker. Anything less than 20 inches across by hand has to be quicker. The big stuff I don't even mess with anymore by hand. I have been splitting stringy birch with the splitter the last few days and with the slow cycle time it takes forever. I have to use a small axe anyway to finish. Using my fiskars, it busts them wide open and I don't even have to worry about pulling the pieces apart. I do like the accuracy part of the splitter though as I like to split in square shaped pieces. I did not notice this last year when splitting doug fir and locust so perhaps its just the species? Anyone else have the same experience or is this common knowledge that I am not aware of?

I have had a Huskee 22 ton splitter for 2 years now and it works great but I swear splitting by hand is quicker. Anything less than 20 inches across by hand has to be quicker. The big stuff I don't even mess with anymore by hand. I have been splitting stringy birch with the splitter the last few days and with the slow cycle time it takes forever. I have to use a small axe anyway to finish. Using my fiskars, it busts them wide open and I don't even have to worry about pulling the pieces apart. I do like the accuracy part of the splitter though as I like to split in square shaped pieces. I did not notice this last year when splitting doug fir and locust so perhaps its just the species? Anyone else have the same experience or is this common knowledge that I am not aware of?
Yep! Nice to have the option to split both ways. The machine adds lots of stamina to the process, even where slower.

I used the same splitter as you for about four years, and you are right about the cycle time: it drove me nuts. However, it belonged to a very generous neighbor, so I couldn’t complain. It always got through anything I needed it to. But last year I was lucky enough to across a used kinetic splitter on Craigslist (a rare find I’m sure). I don’t think I would ever choose to go back. It sounds like you would appreciate the speed of the kinetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the same splitter as you for about four years, and you are right about the cycle time: it drove me nuts. However, it belonged to a very generous neighbor, so I couldn’t complain. It always got through anything I needed it to. But last year I was lucky enough to across a used kinetic splitter on Craigslist (a rare find I’m sure). I don’t think I would ever choose to go back. It sounds like you would appreciate the speed of the kinetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had to look it up. That is pretty fast! Wish I knew about these a couple years ago. Thx for the info!

Reactions: saewoody
I am definitely faster with a splitting axe, so long as the wood cooperates. Instead of picking up a wedge and sledge I’m gonna opt for the hydro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect there are a few variables here.

In general, especially in the short haul, splitting by hand may be faster . . .

Unless a kinetic splitter is involved . . .

Or a person is not as physically fit or has health issues.

In the long haul -- talking about a good, full day of splitting, I suspect the splitter would "win" . . . or at the very least the next day the person operating the splitter may "win".

In the very short term in ideal wood you can split faster by hand...in the long haul the splitter will win every time...the splitter splits that knotty piece the first time every time...doesnt get tired...I had a box store splitter and it was sloooow....wasnt the least bit interested in a kinetic splitter after seeing one struggle with big wood and knotty pieces so I went with a commercial splitter with a 4 way and 6 way head and a lifting arm and a 10 second cycle time...it keeps 3 people as busy as they want to be..

Already been said.

I always use the Fiskie on the stuff that likes to fly apart.
I always use the Huskee 22 ton on the stuff that doesn't. lol

Los Cheapos Muchos

In the long haul -- talking about a good, full day of splitting, I suspect the splitter would "win" . . . or at the very least the next day the person operating the splitter may "win".

Remember the tale of old John Henry...

Reactions: blades
Super Split for me. No man swinging any maul is going to be faster but he may be in better shape than I. ;lol

Reactions: saewoody
John Henry had a sledgehammer . . . and didn't have any elm to split.
And, at the end, he died of overexertion...

I'll stick with the manual/machine (electric) combination. Enough exercise to stay fit, not enough to kill me (I hope).

And, I'll invest the savings from no gym membership in beer and ribeye.

i will skip the beer and double up on the ribeye.

I split some polar and pine the other day by hand, some of the soft stuff goes way quicker with a maul or splitting ax. I don't even touch the oak and hickory without my timberwolf ready to go!

I have the same splitter. There is little to no wait time the way I do it.

First, make a board across the bottom plate to allow the wedge to split each piece fully. It can be attached with bungee using screw eyes or hooks on the ends of board.
I position splitter so the split pile will be in front of me, tossed across splitter bed. (that way if my wife is stacking while I split, I'm not hitting her with it behind me. She hates that, and it's an easy way to lose your helper)

Wood to be split is laid in a straight row along the splitter on the control side, with just enough walk around room so you only have to turn 90* and pick it up. Start the row no more than 1 step away, you won't have time to go far for the next piece.
Stacking high in a straight row prevents bending until the pile is too low. (if you have a helper, they can replenish pile to keep it waist high and close so you can feed it faster)

Get into the rhythm of split, toss, lock handle to run back stroke, while you pick up the next piece. The trick is stopping the back stroke at the proper spot to lay next piece in without wasted motion going too far that you have to wait to come into contact with the log. I change direction just as the piece is laid in position and start the wedge in the other direction without stopping the motion fully. The only break you get is watching it split in the forward direction. When it hits bottom, lock in reverse direction while you empty and place next piece. The shorter the pieces, the faster you have to move with a shorter back stroke.

My best investment was the log cradle to hold splits on the other side of bed. Perfect for a log that needs to be quartered, you split in half and the cradle catches the piece away from you. While wedge is moving in open position, put the logs back together, rotate 90*, drop in as the wedge clears the log and run back into it splitting the other direction. You then have 4 pieces to clear while wedge is moving away, and by the time you have another piece ready to drop into place the wedge is already there. If you can keep the wedge moving in a constant motion, you have no wait time.Think fluid motion keeping the wedge moving and you are the one keeping up with the machine. I run low throttle setting to keep up with it.

Reactions: freddy and Jeffm1

Debatable! When I need a rest from splitting I get the saw out and cut more rounds. I only cut enough rounds that I know I can get through before getting tired. No problem putting up a cord or two in half a day. Getting it all stacked it another story lol.

Some of my rounds are over 300 pounds, I split 'em on the ground and get a bit of exercise...
with.jpg
P_20180120_163532.jpg

I split pretty much exclusively with my monster maul any more, I can normally bust a split off anything Im swinging at first strike. Might take me a couple to go through some gnarly crotch round , but I very rarely have to break out a wedge. I can normally out pace a hydraulic splitter over a full day, though it did take me a while to work myself up to being able to swing that thing all day. And you definitely feel it the next morning.

I split pretty much exclusively with my monster maul any more, I can normally bust a split off anything Im swinging at first strike. Might take me a couple to go through some gnarly crotch round , but I very rarely have to break out a wedge. I can normally out pace a hydraulic splitter over a full day, though it did take me a while to work myself up to being able to swing that thing all day. And you definitely feel it the next morning.
Are you talking about a bottle jack hydraulic splitter?

Reactions: Woody5506
The splitter will save your shoulders as you split cord after cord, year after year. You will understand more as you get older.