Splitting by hand VS. Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Reactions: coutufr
Are you talking about a bottle jack hydraulic splitter?

16lb all steel paul bunyon maul from the 70's. They make 16 pounders now, but with a shorter handle. Im a pretty big guy, I need a 3' handle or I feel like Im going to smash my knees off. The company went out of business in the mid 80s and the mauls are hard to come by now but I REALLY like mine.
6ac932a7814cb969febd070029f93ef9--maul-survival-tools.jpg

Ive heard they also made a 11lb variant "for ladies" lol

I know what a monster maul is ....unfortunately...as I "had" one...IMO it was one of the most unforgiving mauls ever made.My comment about the bottle jack hydraulic splitter was in jest and in reference to you being able to keep pace with a hydraulic splitter for a day..as I have one no man splitting by hand could keep pace with for over a hour...;)

I know what a monster maul is ....unfortunately...as I "had" one...IMO it was one of the most unforgiving mauls ever made.My comment about the bottle jack hydraulic splitter was in jest and in reference to you being able to keep pace with a hydraulic splitter for a day..as I have one no man splitting by hand could keep pace with for over a hour...;)
Unforgiving is right! Designed for people who hate their shoulder, elbow, and wrist joints!

Reactions: Jeffm1
Unforgiving is right! Designed for people who hate their shoulder, elbow, and wrist joints!

Count me in that crowd then, I just like the heavier maul. I tried to use my neighbors 6lb the other day, thought I was going to break it.

We wait until it's -30 or colder. Rounds split like nothing using any old maul - don't even need to use the weighted one (with the extra hunk of steel welded to the back end).

Reactions: au2183
16lb all steel paul bunyon maul from the 70's. They make 16 pounders now, but with a shorter handle. Im a pretty big guy, I need a 3' handle or I feel like Im going to smash my knees off. The company went out of business in the mid 80s and the mauls are hard to come by now but I REALLY like mine.
View attachment 221681

Ive heard they also made a 11lb variant "for ladies" lol

My father had one similar to that in the late 70's. He would swing that for a few hours then go to the YMCA to play hand ball, beat up on the heavy bag then run a fast mile.
What memories.

Count me in that crowd then, I just like the heavier maul. I tried to use my neighbors 6lb the other day, thought I was going to break it.
If you are tough enough to wield the monster maul, you are tough. Just don't think the average person today qualifies. I don't!

My father had one similar to that in the late 70's. He would swing that for a few hours then go to the YMCA to play hand ball, beat up on the heavy bag then run a fast mile.
What memories.
They don't make 'em like they used to...

We wait until it's -30 or colder. Rounds split like nothing using any old maul - don't even need to use the weighted one (with the extra hunk of steel welded to the back end).
I tried this earlier this year during that cold snap. I still worked up a sweat in short order, and then worried about freezing to death because my clothes were soaked, including my hat. Lasted about an hour.

Took a break from splitting and dug the last of the spuds...apologies to those of you @MissMac in colder climes.
P_20180124_162400.jpg P_20180124_162802.jpg P_20180124_170204.jpg