Spring pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just over 4 tons left over from this past (brutal) winter ... bought 8 tons last spring for about $250/ton through woodpellets.com . I was going to buy more from them (I have a very large garage and only 1 car so lots of space) but the kind I bought (Cleanfire Hardwood) is now $284/ton (or $279 for the quantity I would likely buy), which seems like an awfully big increase. HD is still selling pellets for $219/ton, so I ordered 6 tons from them (2 different kinds) that will be delivered in a couple of weeks ... that will likely hold me for the next 2 winters as I expect to use about 5 tons a year (plus 100 or so gallons of oil on the coldest nights and when I'm out of town). Yeah, I like to plan ahead!!

I realize that the Cleanfire Hardwood is likely better quality than the HD pellets, but I doubt it's $60/ton worth of "better."

For me, pellets would have to exceed $600 per ton for oil to be more economical based on oil costing $3.50 per gallon.

I burned oil 12,1, 2, 3, 4 months. Burned less than 300 gals, 330 gal tank. 70 deg F 24/7, really appreciate central heating when cold.
Oil 3.37.9 per gallon. Started out with 40 bags, bought 26 in Feb, still burning, so no tally on pellets yet.

I have just over 4 tons left over from this past (brutal) winter ... bought 8 tons last spring for about $250/ton through woodpellets.com . I was going to buy more from them (I have a very large garage and only 1 car so lots of space) but the kind I bought (Cleanfire Hardwood) is now $284/ton (or $279 for the quantity I would likely buy), which seems like an awfully big increase. HD is still selling pellets for $219/ton, so I ordered 6 tons from them (2 different kinds) that will be delivered in a couple of weeks ... that will likely hold me for the next 2 winters as I expect to use about 5 tons a year (plus 100 or so gallons of oil on the coldest nights and when I'm out of town). Yeah, I like to plan ahead!!

I realize that the Cleanfire Hardwood is likely better quality than the HD pellets, but I doubt it's $60/ton worth of "better."
Hopefully the sell you Stove Chows.....very very hot, very ashy but no hard clinkers.. I think they are HD's better pellets...Bagged and distributed by Energex in Pa..

Status
Not open for further replies.