St. Croix #2 light still blinking, what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OJDart

Nov 14, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Hello, I'm a novice, but learning a lot since last year when my used Auburn was installed. I don't know how old it is, but has a digital control panel.

Last year I installed a new control panel. This year it was working fine for a few weeks, then when I started a new fire, the stove shut itself off with the #2 light blinking. I cleaned all the regular places, tried all the easy tips, disconnected from the exhaust line since the T cap wouldn't come off to clean the chimney soot, but there wasn't much, so never removed chimney cap to clean from that end.

Ultimately I ended up installing a new combustion fan and gasket (lots of rust under the fan which I cleaned out in the process), new proof of fire switch, and new vacuum switch (replacement model which is smaller and 1" narrower from screw to screw). Still the #2 light came on. Then I tried to press the red button on the manual reset high limit switch and cleaned out the lint from the convection fan, started a new fire, but STILL got the #2 light blinking.

I don't have any heat-resistant silicone or aluminum tape to reseal all the parts -- don't know where to get them, so if anyone can suggest a seller it would help. I also got new door gasket and ash pan gasket, not yet replaced while waiting for adhesive to arrive, but since the fires were OK not long ago, I'm at a loss what else to do. Is it possible that the wire connections were on the wrong posts, even though the colors were right? Where do I check to see if the vent system is plugged with fly-ash?

HELP! It's cold.

I own a Harman but I know in the past in St Croix threads that #2 blinking is usually low vacuum. Causes ranging from plugged chambers in the stove ( commonly missed is the clean outs behind the ash pan), plugged venting, bad door gaskets, combustion blower not coming up to speed. plugged passage to the vacuum switch, cracked line to the vacuum switch. And so, look at all that, meanwhile some St Croix owners may chime in. Good luck !

My t cap is double. The outer cap always comes off but the inner cap fits tighter and if there is going to be any creosote it's right there sealing that inner cap on. I use a hair dryer to heat it up and it comes right off.

Last edited:
All of the above, door/ash pan gasket, bad vac hose are common. Are the gaskets hard if so there done, same for the vac hose. You can get a roll of tape at rona for 5 buck.

Thanks for trying. The combustion fan is brand new, as are the proof of fire switch and vacuum switch, so I doubt they would be the issue. The whole area where the burn pot is was vacuumed, including the ash clean outs with covers.

I looked for the clean outs behind the ash pan after removing the decorative box under the door and removing the bottom rod assembly, but there were only a couple holes in a metal wall.

Tried a new fire and now the #3 light is blinking. The manual says check to see if the High Limit switch needs to be reset and not to use the stove until diagnosing why the High Limit tripped -- How does one know if it tripped or if it's working?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.