Start of my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Got the pipe i have been waiting for on saturday
and ITS WRONG AGAIN
I FEEEL BAD FOR THE PESON I GET ON THE PHONE MONDAY MORING !!!!!!!!!!!
this is now the second time they sent me then wrong pipe
the invoice says the right one but the idiot that packed it i guess don't give a s!!t

Last edited:
So question
I am installing a wall thimble
Cut the hole in the wall do I put insulation around the thimble that sit in the wall ?
Or do I leave I air gap in the wall ?

So question
I am installing a wall thimble
Cut the hole in the wall do I put insulation around the thimble that sit in the wall ?
Or do I leave I air gap in the wall ?

Insulation, use roxul as it doesn't burn. You never want un insulated voids left in outside walls in a cold climate its a recipe for mold and condensation. Also seal the thimble plates inside and out well.

Got the pipe i have been waiting for on saturday
and ITS WRONG AGAIN
I FEEEL BAD FOR THE PESON I GET ON THE PHONE MONDAY MORING !!!!!!!!!!!
this is now the second time they sent me then wrong pipe
the invoice says the right one but the idiot that packed it i guess don't give a s!!t

What is wrong with the pipe they sent, was it the wrong size?

Not sure what that is, I have never used it. It would need to be rated as non combustible.

The data sheet on that product indicated it will burn if exposed to open flame or sparks. Now if there was open flame or sparks outside the thimble you got bigger problems anyhow. Not sure how to advise about using this. Personally I would go with the Roxul.

Any tricks for the thimble
Mounting on the outside
I have vinyl siding and was going to cut it and install j channel to make it look nice

That's how mine is; J channel around the thimble, sealed w/ silicone. What stove do you have?

Ok got all the pipe I need
Tomorrow is the big day
Cutting the thimble in and should have it fired up
Can't wait
Wish me luck
eb06c816935bf69d5df643a726ab518d.jpg
Pipe placed where it will sit

Good luck, we want pics of ignition ;)

perfect reason to get that puppy hooked up and running :)

My thimble came with a gasket. Since that is too old now, used numerous wraps of the high temp silicone tape to close off the opening. I didn't want to use RTV as I didn't want that much difficulty if I need to pull it.

Reactions: rona