Started the quadra fire 7100 install today,Where to run the pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
I started hooking up my quadrafire 7100 this evening.I got all the sl-300 flue pipe with the fireplace from the guy I bought it from but I didnt use it because it had been taken apart and everything I have read said once it was put together to not take it apart and re use it so I bought all new flue. I know the flue has a 4" pipe that runs outside to cool the flue but I have a question about the two 6" ones. One is for outside combustion and the other says you can run it outside also or run it to another room as a return duct. Whats the best way to run it? I am using flex pipe for the 4" and also for the 6" outside combustion But not sure what to do with the other one. I thought I read on another post not to run it outside but cant find it now.
100_0664.jpg

I was torn over installing the return duct or not. Since my installer included it as part of the price, I had them run hard duct through the floor and terminate in the unfinished basement ceiling. I figured I could pop it up into another room on the main floor and improve overall air movement. I would suggest running the duct to a point where you can utilize it in the future if you decide it may help your situation.

In my case it turned out to be completely unnecessary. My floor plan (2900 sf. total for 2 levels) is very open and the heat flows everywhere without any assistance. A really strong convection loop establishes itself pretty quickly and the furthest upstairs room from the fireplace is usually just 4 degrees cooler. It is really neat to sit on the stairs and feel the cold air pouring past.

I was torn over installing the return duct or not. Since my installer included it as part of the price, I had them run hard duct through the floor and terminate in the unfinished basement ceiling. I figured I could pop it up into another room on the main floor and improve overall air movement. I would suggest running the duct to a point where you can utilize it in the future if you decide it may help your situation.

In my case it turned out to be completely unnecessary. My floor plan (2900 sf. total for 2 levels) is very open and the heat flows everywhere without any assistance. A really strong convection loop establishes itself pretty quickly and the furthest upstairs room from the fireplace is usually just 4 degrees cooler. It is really neat to sit on the stairs and feel the cold air pouring past.
My set up is 990 SF addition,Mostly open floor plan with the exception of a bath. And a new 840 SF basement underneath. The fireplace came with two heat zone kits. I am planning in running one to the basement right under the fireplace.Wasnt going to use the other one. Should I run the 6" return air to my basement next the the zone heater duct? Or would this not work? Or is there a better way?

I opted to not use the heat zones due to my layout. Plus the further you run them the less effective they are at moving heat. If you opt to put the 6" return in the basement, make sure that there is a good separation between the heat zone output and return. When I called QF and asked them what the max distance the 6" return duct could be run, they said about 33'. This was primarily due to increasing air friction in longer runs. If you are going to use flexible duct, that distance would be shorter.

I am not an HVAC guy and tend to over think things, but I am intrigued at the idea of running the heat zone to the basement and the 6" return to the basement near the floor. This would draw your cold air from down low and you warm air would fill the void. Again, I am not a heating engineer. Hopefully someone with greater knowledge than I will chime in and give proper advice. And give me a virtual dope slap.

One of the many useful things that I have learned from the great people on this site is that it is always better to move the cold air. The warm air will follow.

Anyone else have there return in the basement? Think this would force heat to the basement even without the heat zone kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.