Starting Pellet Stoves Cheaper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
racreange said:
Hey,
What is Purel? I just installed an insert in Edison, NJ. Now I have to wait three weeks for my pellet order! Where can you get pellets around here? I would have ordered earlier, but didn't trust the delivery date of the stove. (I ordered the stove in June)

Purel is hand sanitizer. Call Tractor Supply Company, Agway and Homedepot's located in Hunterdon and Warren Counties. That's not to far from Edison. There's more pellet stove owners in those areas- thus more store's carry pellets.

I wouldn't be using straight alcohol to start any fire. One misstep or unfortunate spill and you could lose body hair or much worse. That's why the alcohol is mixed with a gelatinous substance in the fire starter gell---seriously slows combustion and avoids explosions.

One bottle of the fire starter gell at about $8C did me all last winter with my Hearth Focus 6039. Small investment for safety sake.

my $.02

Stan

mufflerman, i was going to say the same thing as that is how i get my charcoal going for the grill

mufflerman said:
I use a small butane torch put small pile of pellets in stove hit with torch for 45 seconds close door turn on its lit.

I hit mine with the click start turbo propane torch. 15 seconds usually does it. It will even light straight corn if you give it a minute or so. About 1 torch tank per season, 2 bucks, priceless, simple.

Scoop said:
I wouldn't be using straight alcohol to start any fire. One misstep or unfortunate spill and you could lose body hair or much worse. That's why the alcohol is mixed with a gelatinous substance in the fire starter gell---seriously slows combustion and avoids explosions.

One bottle of the fire starter gell at about $8C did me all last winter with my Hearth Focus 6039. Small investment for safety sake.

my $.02

Stan

Yeah , you shouldn`t run with scissors either but common sense has to prevail . After 1 year and trying everything available I still find Wal Mart 91% IPA is the most reliable and most inexpensive way to start my pellets. It`s quick, has never flared up quickly , and it gets the heat going significantly faster than any automatic lighting pellet stove.
It works a lot better than the outrageously priced gelled alcohol.
That said , the key words are *COLD BURNPOT* . Never use liquid or gels in a hot burnpot and do not leave either these saturated pellets in the cold burnpot for longer than necessary since accumulated vapors can ignite viciously.
I agree with Pook regarding K2 being cheaper (and maybe even safer) but i don`t always have good luck with it maintaining a good flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.