Starting Pellet Stoves Cheaper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost5849

Aug 30, 2008
Central NJ
Here's a fire starting method I use for my pellet stove that I figured out when I ran out of fire starting gel. I used Purell and it worked great. I take about 1 cup of pellets in a measuring cup, add about 1 table spoon of purell and stir. I add it to the stove and light it. It works great. Saves you about 90% off the price of fire starting gel.

how much is a bottle of purell?

IPA? {slurp!} yummy....wouldn't waste a good india pale ale on pellets. don't you people have ignitors in your stoves?

oh, the humanity...

Reactions: huggmeister
cac4 said:
IPA? {slurp!} yummy....wouldn't waste a good india pale ale on pellets. don't you people have ignitors in your stoves?

oh, the humanity...
Close, isopropyl alcohol (91%). I don't think you want to drink it, unless you don't value your vision. :D

Igniters cost extra, use a lot of electricity, are slow, and break (then cost too much to fix)... so no.

my stove starts on its own.i just press start

I've used Purell to start fires in the wood burner. I work for Gojo so Purell is free.

Wet1 said:
Buy a quart of IPA from WM, it's even cheaper and works better.

where does walmart have 91% ipa??
all ive seen is rubbing alcohol 61% and it doesnt work very much

rayttt said:
Wet1 said:
Buy a quart of IPA from WM, it's even cheaper and works better.

where does walmart have 91% ipa??
all ive seen is rubbing alcohol 61% and it doesnt work very much
Rubbing alcohol = IPA, they sell it in 91% as well.

at the supermarket...rubbing alcohol was 61% and it lit and went right back out.

I bought a 40 ounce bottle of Germ X hand sanitizer (68%) and it's working as good as fire starter gel.
However..I have some 91% ipa I got from work..and that works the best out of all I have tried.
I dump it into a plastic cup with half a cup of pellets and dump that in fire pot...and close door..and it
starts the stove each time...using fire gel or germ x...some times it starts and sometimes it doesnt (requiring a second soaking).

are we talking about a pellet stove??

yes...my p38 harman

rayttt said:
yes...my p38 harman

My Big E has a rod in it that gets hot and starts the pellets.it has worked every time in the last two heating seasons.Does your have this???

johnnywarm said:
rayttt said:
yes...my p38 harman

My Big E has a rod in it that gets hot and starts the pellets.it has worked every time in the last two heating seasons.Does your have this???

Yeah but it uses 300watts+ , and takes 10 minutes+ to start, and eventually burns out at a cost of $90 + to replace.
The good news is that you can always mix IPA and pellets and start it manually.

what about corn liquor

Gio said:
johnnywarm said:
rayttt said:
yes...my p38 harman

Yeah but it uses 300watts+ , and takes 10 minutes+ to start, and eventually burns out at a cost of $90 + to replace.
The good news is that you can always mix IPA and pellets and start it manually.

I think the Big E takes only 3 minuets.i'll time it next time i hit on.

Thanks John

Hey,
What is Purel? I just installed an insert in Edison, NJ. Now I have to wait three weeks for my pellet order! Where can you get pellets around here? I would have ordered earlier, but didn't trust the delivery date of the stove. (I ordered the stove in June)

Status
Not open for further replies.