Still Looking at Stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickochet

Hearth Supporter
We have been trying to decide on a new stove. We really like the looks of a cst iron stove, but they all seem to sit low. We are both tall and it appears that bending over gets to be a chore. We have looked at the top load Quadra-Fire Isle Royal and really like it, but they say it would be big for our 1850 square foot cabin style home. The next step down is the Cumberland Gap, but doesn't have top load features. We looked at Vermont Castings, Hearthstone, Harman & Napoleon too.

We liked the Harman Oakwood as it is a top loader, but has a very small ash pan. We are really confused with our next steps on how to decide. We have been burning an old Fisher stove and we are looking forward to embracing some new technology to reduce our wood consumption and enjoy extended burn times

Any wisdom, suggestions or input would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick in Indiana

Oh gosh, it depends on so many things. I'm not tall, but I'm not getting any younger, either, so I'm not real fond of bending over. We had raised brick hearths built for both of our stoves to sit on, ~12" above the floor. I'll attach a pic of one. No idea whether or not it's applicable in your case, but it's a thought. Welcome, and good luck! Rick

Attachments

• stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 436
Correct, there's no rule that you can't raise the stove up as long as the clearance to combustibles above the stove are honored. I've seen installations where the hearth is 18" high and has wood storage underneath it.

What are your winter temps like? I'm inclined to stay the Isle Royale would be fine, but if you are in southern Indiana and never see below 20 deg. temps, then maybe not. It also depends on the room size and whether this is an open floor plan or many rooms on the stove floor level.

We live in north central Indiana, 40 miles south of Fort Wayne. The winters can present some very cold temps, but usually not for extended periods. Below 0 for a few days may be it. The house is a few years old with good insulation. It is 1850 SF total, not including the basement. We have a heat pump as "primary heat" for insurance reasons....

With the family room, kitchen & dining areas totaling about 800 SF combined with an 18 foot high vaulted ceiling area for all, with the woodstove placed in this large open area. We have 2 suspended ceiling fans to help move the air.

After talking to the dealers, some think the Isle would be a good fit. Some say it would be too mcuh heat and we would always be choking it down, creating too much creosote.

We also looked at the Harmon Oakwood and all most all of the dealers concur that it would be a good fit. Again, I have seen many great comments from this site that have really helped guide people towards the right fit.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Well, we are stilling looking. After some more research, the Napoleon 1900 has been recommended but we are just a bit worried about it being "too big." What are your thoughts after looking at our specs?

Thanks!

Same cu ft capacity, just a different configuration than the Isle Royale. Not a top-loader though.

It will be more about burning habits than the stove. If you build a whopping fire in October, you may be running around naked for a few hours. Just build a medium fire and let it go out if the house is warm enough.

If you want a more even steady source of heat look at a soapstone stove or maybe a Pacific Energy Alderlea which has a lot of castiron mass to even out temps.

fossil said:
Oh gosh, it depends on so many things. I'm not tall, but I'm not getting any younger, either, so I'm not real fond of bending over. We had raised brick hearths built for both of our stoves to sit on, ~12" above the floor. I'll attach a pic of one. No idea whether or not it's applicable in your case, but it's a thought. Welcome, and good luck! Rick

looks like the cat has the "best seat in the house" bet that feels GOOOOOOOD!!!!!

beautiful job on the hearth by the way , that photo could be used in a brochure easily, nice work all around!

I have my druthers.

I fear the cat might be the next thing to "char" ... like a ferret :p

Status
Not open for further replies.