Stoked for weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Well, it is currently 20 degrees outside (wind chill makes it 11). Forecast is for 5" of snow by Saturday. Wood (most of it) is cut/split/stacked/tarped.

Cleaned up the stove today for "Picture Day". Cleaned/added a little graphite for the dog house. Added water & 'essence' to the steamer. Vacuumed the hearth (forgot to do the hearth rug for the photo). Cleaned the glass for the first time in about 3 weeks - wasn't too bad yet but had the opportunity so I did it.

I thought I'd show a picture of my beauty - blue/black Jotul Oslo. We love this beast! First photo is how we 'see' it. Second photo is the screen we put up when our under age 3 grandchildren come to visit - this is just a safety screen because the kids aren't here that much and granny would prefer to enjoy their company rather than rubbing salve on a accidental burn. Yes, there is controversy about screening off a stove & I understand both view points - but this is granny's house not somebody's house who is raising children with a constant presence of a wood stove.

Shari

Attachments

• 100_0022a.jpg
    100_0022a.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 519
  • 100_0021a.jpg
    100_0021a.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 478
Looks like a staged pic out of a promotional magazine, very nice.

Nice, very nice !!

Nice - enjoy the snow.

Shari said:
Well, it is currently 20 degrees outside (wind chill makes it 11). Forecast is for 5" of snow by Saturday. Wood (most of it) is cut/split/stacked/tarped.

Cleaned up the stove today for "Picture Day". Cleaned/added a little graphite for the dog house. Added water & 'essence' to the steamer. Vacuumed the hearth (forgot to do the hearth rug for the photo). Cleaned the glass for the first time in about 3 weeks - wasn't too bad yet but had the opportunity so I did it.

I thought I'd show a picture of my beauty - blue/black Jotul Oslo. We love this beast! First photo is how we 'see' it. Second photo is the screen we put up when our under age 3 grandchildren come to visit - this is just a safety screen because the kids aren't here that much and granny would prefer to enjoy their company rather than rubbing salve on a accidental burn. Yes, there is controversy about screening off a stove & I understand both view points - but this is granny's house not somebody's house who is raising children with a constant presence of a wood stove.

Shari

Shari it looks great.

zap

Jags said:
That is looking SWEET, Shari. I love the "homey, country, rustic" look.

Heh heh - I have a step grandson that says granny's house if a "Happy House" because of all 'stuff' I have around here - all of which is child-safe.

I was trying to figure out how to get a picture of the wire-bird-cage-hot-air-balloon-thingy hanging just to the left of the stove. I guess this is about the best I can do with a photo of that 'thingy-hangin'-in-grandma's-house'.

Shari

Attachments

• 100_0024a.jpg
    100_0024a.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 407
love the stacked stone and the way the stove appears meant for the space.

Nice! Our Blue/Black Oslo is ordered and will hopefully be in the house in a couple of weeks. I've got three kids ages 7, 5, and 3 with another surprise on the way. Do you find the temporary screen is adaquate for keeping them away? I think my kids now are old enough to stay away, however, the one due in February has me worried about safety for next winter. I have a nephew who spent some time in the hospital as an 18 month old after burning his hands on the glass front of the family's gas logs.

Jags said:
That is a unique piece for sure. Where's tweety??

Unfortunately tweety passed away in my hands a number of years ago. The hot-air-balloon-thing used to be her 'outside the house' cage - she loved to sing along with the wild birds. S

Shari

basswidow said:
love the stacked stone and the way the stove appears meant for the space.

Well, technically it's not stacked stone. Stacked stone has little or no motar showing. This is actually a mix of mostly feather edge lannon stone and cut lannon stone motared in place (motar lines showing between the stones). The hearth is also feather edge lannon stone with the stone's natural face showing on the top and sides. The wall to the right is pecky cypress aka Lousiana Swamp wood. We have an 'inside/outside house' - feather edge lannon stone and pecky cypress both inside and outside. :)

Shari

Coach B said:
Nice! Our Blue/Black Oslo is ordered and will hopefully be in the house in a couple of weeks. I've got three kids ages 7, 5, and 3 with another surprise on the way. Do you find the temporary screen is adaquate for keeping them away? I think my kids now are old enough to stay away, however, the one due in February has me worried about safety for next winter. I have a nephew who spent some time in the hospital as an 18 month old after burning his hands on the glass front of the family's gas logs.

The youngest age of our grandchildren who live in town is 3 yrs. - I trust her with this type of screen as it is more of a 'Stay Away From This Space" type of screen even though it doesn't stop the g-kids from pulling up a child size chair to warm themselves after playing outside in the snow. :) I have had to remind g-kids toys are not to be tossed around as I wouldn't want a stuffed animal or a plastic toy to land on a hot stove either. I wouldn't trust a toddler with this type of screen as the screen itself is very light weight - it could be knocked over. There are other specialty 'fences' probably better suited for a younger child. Yes, lots of debate on whether or not parents should screen/fence off a woodstove. To each his own. :)

Shari

very cozy looking,luv the jotul look,very warming
rod

Looks great, Shari !! Like it was worth the wait :)

Very nice pictures, there is nothing wrong with keeping the little ones safe. Dave.

Shari, feel free to post pics of that setup any time you want. I won't mind a bit.
Keep the grandbabies safe. Ours were just here for a few days during Thanksgiving. They're older now (youngest is 6), so not too many worries about burns.

Looks like "Grandma's house" to me. Nice, cozy and warm.

Hey Granny, whoops, I mean Shari, that is a nice looking cozy room with the stove and all the extras. Next time be sure to vacuum that rug. :lol:

All kidding aside Shari, it look nice and you are right, it is your house so have it your way.

I do love the look of the Jotuls, we like our insert, I think I would like the stove even more.

Awesome! Love the country look too! I'm not sure why there would be a debate on screening off the stove from kids - I have three young ones, and we have our stove 'screened' off (it's actually a heavier duty gate system). Couldn't imagine someone thinking it was a bad idea - especially with a one-year old boy crawling toward the kindling pile every five minutes! My parents tried to child-proof their house, but we still manage to get the kids inside every Sunday......Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.